The Student Room Group

European Law Vs. Straight Law

Hi!

I've received offers to study European Law and straight law from various universities (Warwick, Bristol, KCL, Durham, Manchester).

The European Law degree would allow me to study English law as well as French law and spend a year abroad in France in my third year.

Are there any advantages in doing the European law degree over straight law, or am I better off doing straight law?

What do you think???

Cheers.
Reply 1
Advantage of the straight law degree: you don't have to spend a year in France.
Reply 2
Hi,
I´m actually in the same situation as you apart from my offers being for straight law and European law with a year spent in Germany. I have offers from Warwick and Exeter for European law and an offer from Durham for straight law.
I believe less people do the European law course, which would raise ones employability. You could work in different countries with the degree and with growing internationalisation it might be just the right thing to do.
However, I still haven´t decided yet, these are just my personal arguments for the European law course.
Best wishes
Reply 3
Anika
Hi,
I´m actually in the same situation as you apart from my offers being for straight law and European law with a year spent in Germany. I have offers from Warwick and Exeter for European law and an offer from Durham for straight law.
I believe less people do the European law course, which would raise ones employability. You could work in different countries with the degree and with growing internationalisation it might be just the right thing to do.
However, I still haven´t decided yet, these are just my personal arguments for the European law course.
Best wishes

Only if your employer wants someone who has spent a year in said country.
Only if the year in said country qualifies you to practice there. It is highly unlikely that 1 year of study abroad will qualify you to practice in the country.

Latest

Trending

Trending