The Student Room Group

[EDEXCEL] Do you get full marks for the correct answer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redsauce
I'd like to please, having an inaccurate answer with nearly correct working/method or use of rule gains credit?

The examiner will read through your work and try to give you as many marks as they can, depending on how much correct working there is.
Um guys, what if I answered it with a complete different formula from the mark scheme but got the answer correct? I tried past papers and most of the questions I’ve answered are different from what the mark sceme shown and there are no alternative method from the mark sceme. Will I still get full marks?
This is a SIX YEAR OLD THREAD!!!

and there are a lot of misconceptions around this point.

In nearly ALL maths exams, a correct answer will give full marks, but with the following exceptions:

1. The question requires you to 'show that' or 'prove' in which case the correct answer is given to you in the question. Marks are only awarded for correct working.

2. The question requires you to 'show all working' ... then guess what ...

3. The question demands that you only approach the answer using a given method. eg "... hence, using an algebraic method, solve ..."

4. You show all working but make a couple of mistakes which luckily lead to the correct answer. This type of response should NEVER be awarded full marks, but only the marks for any working shown that is correct.
In my experience, students are very confused by this, and such confusion is the teacher's constant demand for all students to always show working. Most teachers do not mark exams, and so have very little understanding of what is required for marks to be awarded in answering exam questions.
I see (daily) many examples of student's work, and exam papers from school mocks which have been badly and wrongly marked by their teacher.

A good student will spend time considering the mark scheme, and understanding where and why marks have been awarded for the questions they've completed. Some of the older mark schemes are very basic, and can be quite confusing/misleading. More recently, most exam boards have spent much time & money improving their mark schemes. (I'm only talking about maths, but this situation might apply to other subjects, too)

Quick Reply

Latest