Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guyz, up till now ive done alot of reading but have just registered 2day.

Atm i do biology, chemistry and geography but tbh find all these subjects boring, my main interests lie within computer and i do know bits n bobs on various programmung languages and also SQL (databases), and other computer related comcepts, just learnt as a hobby.

I applied to the loughborough science foundation year with comp sci. I have been accepted.

In my GCSE i got AA for science and B for maths, will this along with my foundation year be alright for comp sci at loughborough (im mainly worried about not doing well in maths bits within comp sci). I ordered the prospectus and read the following line "The degree programmes offered by the department contain a core computing or IT component. In addition to this central core futher modules are adding depending on the exact nature of the degree programme.

"In the single honours programmes (comp sci, comp sci AI, comp + bus) the computing core is accompanied by mathemactical foundations: programming, e-buisness,AI, graphics" etc

Now having read this, does this comp sci degree have less maths involved and more focus on computing?

and also how important are you alevel grades when looking for a job after graduating (with say a 2:1)

thnks alot guyz, just felt as the times coming closer now, i best ask a few questions ive been meaning to find answers to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shammy)
    hey guyz, up till now ive done alot of reading but have just registered 2day.

Atm i do biology, chemistry and geography but tbh find all these subjects boring, my main interests lie within computer and i do know bits n bobs on various programmung languages and also SQL (databases), and other computer related comcepts, just learnt as a hobby.

I applied to the loughborough science foundation year with comp sci. I have been accepted.

In my GCSE i got AA for science and B for maths, will this along with my foundation year be alright for comp sci at loughborough (im mainly worried about not doing well in maths bits within comp sci). I ordered the prospectus and read the following line "The degree programmes offered by the department contain a core computing or IT component. In addition to this central core futher modules are adding depending on the exact nature of the degree programme.

"In the single honours programmes (comp sci, comp sci AI, comp + bus) the computing core is accompanied by mathemactical foundations: programming, e-buisness,AI, graphics" etc

Now having read this, does this comp sci degree have less maths involved and more focus on computing?

and also how important are you alevel grades when looking for a job after graduating (with say a 2:1)

thnks alot guyz, just felt as the times coming closer now, i best ask a few questions ive been meaning to find answers to.
    Any help appreciated guyz and girls

Cheerz in advance.

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE i got AA for science and B for maths, will this along with my foundation year be alright for comp sci at loughborough (im mainly worried about not doing well in maths bits within comp sci).
    If Loughbrough offer the foundation year in preparation for their degrees, then it will be their opinion that if you pass it you're of a required standard to undertake a science course at degree level.

So, yeah.

Note the phrase, "mathematical foundations". This means (probably) that you'll need to apply your mathematical skills to some elements within certain modules. Perhaps they'll even give you a maths module in the first year.

The most important thing will be the degree result. However, A-Level grades are taken into account sometimes - especially in the context of graduate training schemes where you may need a certain number of UCAS points to be eligible for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZigZag)
    If Loughbrough offer the foundation year in preparation for their degrees, then it will be their opinion that if you pass it you're of a required standard to undertake a science course at degree level.

So, yeah.

Note the phrase, "mathematical foundations". This means (probably) that you'll need to apply your mathematical skills to some elements within certain modules. Perhaps they'll even give you a maths module in the first year.

The most important thing will be the degree result. However, A-Level grades are taken into account sometimes - especially in the context of graduate training schemes where you may need a certain number of UCAS points to be eligible for it.
    cheerz for the reply zigzag,

When doinng the placement year are there set requirements by the employers? ie they looking at your first year results, what uve been predicted (1 2:1 2:2, or alevels or any other aspects?

ReputationRep:
    cheerz for the reply zigzag,

When doinng the placement year are there set requirements by the employers? ie they looking at your first year results, what uve been predicted (1 2:1 2:2, or alevels or any other aspects?
    It'll be the policy of individual companies. However, your university may stipulate that you achieve a 2:1 or better to go on a placement, since it reflects badly on them if they send out substandard undergrads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZigZag)
    It'll be the policy of individual companies. However, your university may stipulate that you achieve a 2:1 or better to go on a placement, since it reflects badly on them if they send out substandard undergrads.
    Thnks again m8.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.