Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bernard Cornwell Books - Sharpe watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone read the amazing series?

A truly exceptional series of books.

ReputationRep:
    I read 'Sharpe's Trafalgar' a while ago. Really liked it but couldn't find any more of them in the school library. How many of them are there and where are you supposed to start?

ReputationRep:
    Aaaargh, Sharpe is the bane of my life!!!! I work in a library and we have so many Sharpe books! And they have different labels on them, so they're not all in the same place... nightmare to find! :p:

I'm biased against Sharpe though, because my mum borrowed the boxset of ALL Sharpe episodes and watched them, one after the other, during the school holidays when there was nothing to do... absolutely hated it since then! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    But it's Sean Bean... :o:

Anyway, joking aside, I've read as many as possible and find they're really good, even if the chapters all tend to end in a simialr way.

"For Sharpe and Harper were going.
    They were going to Badajoz."

And many other similar short sentances and constructions like that that irritate me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Anyone read the amazing series?

A truly exceptional series of books.
    I think I've read all (or almost all) the Sharpe books over the years. My Dad was a huge Sharpe fan and got me hooked on them years ago!

ReputationRep:
    I've read quite a few of the Sharpe books as well-my Dad was also a fan. It gets a tad confusing though, since Bernard Cornwell wrote them in chronological order, then when they became so popular he went back and wrote more books that were set earlier...

Sharpe is a bit of a legend, but it's impossible to find them, or at least there are always a couple of them in each shop/library/airport etc, but never a substantial amount of them, and never in any order.

(admiitedly I don't reall look specifically for them 'cause they're more like fall back for when I'm bored and can't find much else)

ReputationRep:
    On a related note, did anyone watch the first part of 'Sharpe's Challenge' on ITV? I read the book it's based on...fortunately the TV version is quite different in places, so I'm still not entirely sure of the whole plot!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I saw it, it was ace. I think I may start reading the books now!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I got a Sharpe book out of the libary tdoay, something to do with a Tiger

ReputationRep:
    Sharpe's tiger? That's a good one...

ReputationRep:
    Watched the film that was on TV a week or two back... and am determined to read the series now. I know someone who's got the set... plus all the films... so I've found a way to occupy my time over the summer

ReputationRep:
    How many are there? From the way you all are talking, I have the impression there's at least 300 :p:

ReputationRep:
    How many are there? From the way you all are talking, I have the impression there's at least 300
    Lol! You wouldn't be far off...there were at least 20 at the last count!

ReputationRep:
    Sharpe's Company is the best, I think, from a military point of view. The unfairness of purchased commissions and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I read Sharpe because I was fed up of seeing all of these books on the Best seller shelves with “Sharpe” in the title without knowing what they were… I read all of them withing 6 months of getting Sharpe’s Tiger from the library.

I found out a lot about Napoleonic History from them… and yes, I did look up facts and not take them from the book! There are some amazing feats in there… Assaye, Salamanca, Waterloo… and yet the anniversery of Waterloo, both this year and lasted, passed without a single mention on TV, which, considering our obbsession with WWII, if pathetic.

And my favourite book comes down to either Sharpe’s Trafalgar or Eagle.

Anyone Who like them... read Flashman. Heard that? Flashman. Think Sharpe research and detail... in Victorian military with a rich coward and soundrel as the main character. Brilliant stuff.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.