Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On channel 4 at the moment there is a program,me about teens tgetting hitched. I certainly did not expect to see a white haired 64 year old on there who is marrying a 17 year old girl-sooo wrong in my opinion. It also prompted me to thing about marriage. What sort of age do people imagine they will get hitched, and also to a certain extent how the ability to get a divorce has devalued marriage. I have Christian values so think that no sex before marriage is a good idea and also I think that religion does help me to understand the seriousness of marriage. What a ramble.

But what do people think of marriage in general?

ReputationRep:
    sex before marriage - yeah why not

64 + 17 - no no no no

Mixed feelings about mariage and whether or not it actually changes anything (that depends greatly on what your relationship is like) but if i were to get married, it wont be for at least till im mid/late 20s. It wouldnt be fair to either one of us because of my (hopefully) career that i want to lead.

ReputationRep:
    I would only get married for financial legal reasons/the wedding part. Divorce can be really messy and I'd be just as comfortable being in a long term relationship that doesn't have that official title. Weird, maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I'd hope to be married in 10 years give or take and I'm 16 now.

ReputationRep:
    When it feels right- which I don't think will be for a good few years yet. While I'd love to get married now (being a girl & all....), I know financially & just about every other implication is against me. I'm young (not single though) & I know I've got plenty of time to go & see a bit more of the world before I settle down. Getting married young may seem like the best idea at the time- but why do it now when you've got a lifetime to do it in?

ReputationRep:
    In theory, I want to get married young (i.e. before 25) and have kids young, too. My friends seem to reckon I'll find the guy I marry at uni.

But then... if I marry at 20... by the time we're 60 that'll be 40 years! I don't know if I can stand someone for that long. It seems much safer to wait until 35, and cut down the number of years. Who knows. It depends how things work out.

The last thing I want to do is get divorced. But it may happen, and we all have to accept that it will be something that some of us go through.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not run the risk of having a divorce while there's children. I'd want to live with my wife for about 4 years to make sure that we're stable before having children. OR, have a child then see if it affects our marriage and if it does end it there so the child doesn't remember it.

ReputationRep:
    I think, marriage is cool if you wanna do it. BUT, it should be a very carefuly considered thing. However, if you do get hitched (and unless kids are involved, there should be no pressure to do so) then you should try damn hard to stay hitched (ie, don't marry unless you are pretty sure its gunna last). I have no time for no-sex-before-marriage but again, its personal choice. Just don't ram it down my throat.

In the end, whatever makes you happy. But please, if you want to have kids, get married. It means there is SOME kinda security to the r/ship and there a better financial incentives and its easier to bring them up from an institutional PoV if you are married.

Personaly, I don't wanna get married until the second half of my 20s at the earliest, and I certainly don't plan kids until I turn 30.

ReputationRep:
    I find it odd people saying like what age they want to get married....they don't seem to take into account that you actually need to find/meet/fall in love first...

i guess its the age you'd prefer to get married...

ReputationRep:
    Different people want different things in life so I can't say what I think the proper age to get married at is but I don't intend to get married until i'm about 25 or 26. That is of course if i've found someone I want to marry by then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    I find it odd people saying like what age they want to get married....they don't seem to take into account that you actually need to find/meet/fall in love first...
    Yeah, I think its just a preference. If it doesn't work out that way then so be it, but I don't want to be getting married/having kids at 35-40 years old, its just not me.

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose 70 years ago marriage was the accepted thing. Now society is more liberal supposedly I wanted to know what young people like myself really think.

ReputationRep:
    With all these pro-marriage posts, I thought I'd add a note of contrast. I myself am pretty indifferent to the idea of marriage - given that I don't want children, wouldn't change my name and have been living with my boyfriend for quite a while, I simply don't see what it would change. Rather strangely for a girl, I also dislike the idea of a wedding, being the centre of attention etc, so the wedding day is no incentive either, quite the opposite in fact.

I must admit that there is also a slight element of rebellion involved, though it isn't the main reason why I choose not to get married. My boyfriend and I are at an age when absolutely no-one would be surprised if we got married (in fact, I'm sure our families would welcome it), but I rather enjoy subverting people's expectations...

ReputationRep:
    I cant wait to get married and have kids, id do it tomorrow if i was with the right person. Divorce isnt something id worry about, alot of marriages work. I dont have ages where i would like things to happen though, whenever it happens it happens!

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that marriage is an awful outdated institution. I am generally not a libertarian as such (or at least that's not how I'm primarily define myself) but I fail to see what business it is of the state what kind of relationship one is in. I don't think that one should have to be married to have next of kin rights, but legal reasons are the only good reasons I can see to get married. As for getting married for religious reasons, it is exactly those idiotic individuals who still believe in god who I would expect to see the idiocy of condoning religious ideas on marriage. It's truly a shame that people like that still exist.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieliz)
    On channel 4 at the moment there is a program,me about teens tgetting hitched. I certainly did not expect to see a white haired 64 year old on there who is marrying a 17 year old girl-sooo wrong in my opinion. It also prompted me to thing about marriage. What sort of age do people imagine they will get hitched, and also to a certain extent how the ability to get a divorce has devalued marriage. I have Christian values so think that no sex before marriage is a good idea and also I think that religion does help me to understand the seriousness of marriage. What a ramble.

But what do people think of marriage in general?
    First of all, 64 and 17! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not planning on marriage but I wouldn't mind if I meet my Mr. Right. I would say marriage for me around the age of 25 at least I have Christian values as well as having been brought up to believe that it's good to save yourself for that one person who I'm going to spend the rest of my life with. Marriage to me, is a lifetime commitment and is a very important decision to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manatee)
    With all these pro-marriage posts, I thought I'd add a note of contrast. I myself am pretty indifferent to the idea of marriage - given that I don't want children, wouldn't change my name and have been living with my boyfriend for quite a while, I simply don't see what it would change.
    Me neither. The whole concept of marriage is a farce as far as I am concerned, given as my mum has been married 4 times..every year we had a different man living in our house. My dad has been married 3 times already. A friend of mine got married a couple of years ago and they separated after 8 months as he had a better offer.

I just dont see myself trusting anybody to that extent. My ex spent all my cash and my current boyfriend (whos Nigerian) is distraught at the fact his visa runs out in a years time. Of course hes mentioned getting married.

Not on your nelly.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the near future please. Im in a long term relationship but im hoping to join the army this year after completing my officer selection (RCB) and think it would be unfair. Also children *shudder* can't think of a worse way of never been able to enjoy yourself and not being allowed to the football, pub or have sex incase the "baby" hears.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.