The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LibertineNorth
Indeed. The Chancellor is the head of the university, the Rector is the students' representative in the university court.

My apologies :redface: I can't see why he should be Chancellor. What has be done to merit it? :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Meh, the Chancellor is usually someone like that. Ours was the Queen Mother - a nice old lady who did a fair bit and actually seemed interested in the uni. At present, we've got Sir James Black, who I suppose is good being an academic etc - won a nobel prize for some sort of chemical malarky I don't quite understand.

I think there was a movement a few years ago at Edinburgh to replace the Duke, but that was also down to the supposed conflict of interest as he's also Chancellor of Cambridge (if memory serves). I suppose it's just for the prestige.
The Chancellor of the University of Wales is Prince Charles....I dont see him being at my graduation ceremony some how!
Reply 23
ashmufc
Can't they jsut do it like USA !

No, because we got there first and have some dignity.

I've been to a Cambridge graduation and have my own in June. We don't have mortar boards, just 3/4 length undergrad gowns and hoods which vary in style according to your degree. Graduands line up in 4s, and the Praelector of the college reads a load of Latin to the Vice-Chancellor, basically saying "These are good and hard-working people, please admit them to the degree of X (usually BA)." Then you each take one of the Praelector's fingers and he leads you up to the VC in the chair. You kneel down one at a time and she says some Latin (which means something like "You can have this degree too") and up you get and trot off to get your certificate and have your photo taken.
Reply 24
Helenia
Then you each take one of the Praelector's fingers

Ten people each holding a finger?

I could make a joke about Americans and the 'pull my finger' thing, but I'll restrain myself.
LibertineNorth
Ten people each holding a finger?

I could make a joke about Americans and the 'pull my finger' thing, but I'll restrain myself.

Nah, four people holding a finger

MB
Reply 26
Seeing my ex G/F graduate at QM was one of the happiest moments for me.
No wierd antics are used upon getting your 'fake' certificate though, like Edinburgh with some trousers :confused: I'd be insulted :laugh:

Dinner is accompanied and a good piss up with the lecturers and professors afterwards if you're lucky. That's when any revenge should be taking place.

Latest

Trending

Trending