Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello

i was wondering if any body could give an advice what to pick either civil or aeronautical engineering. Also which one has better job prospect and more £££.

secondly i have an offer from louborough and nottingham and manchester and birmingham for civil engineering. which one is the best? or got the best rep

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Civil has way better job prospects and therefore more chance of getting any £ or $ in the first place. Aeronauts are in for a tough time findng jobs. If you want to work in the aerospace industry you're probably better off doing mechanical engineering (broader knowledge base), in which case doing aero would be almost purely for passion's sake.

Lots of people due to come in and big up civil now.... (probably)

I'd say look at what interests you the most about each course's contents, then go from there. Jobs are thin on the ground in aero but thats not to say its impossible if you put your mind to it.

ReputationRep:
    hello

the other think is what is the best engineering course to choose to get most out the engineering profision and ofcourse £££.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am graduating B-eng civil engineering in july I have just been offered 25k graduate job, however the average is between 22-26.
    But companies are taking advantage of the economic climate and reducing pay fast so it will probably change by the time you graduate.

There are no jobs in aeronautical engineering so theres no point in even making a wage comparison because it will be very difficult to get a job. google engineering jobs and you will see lots come up for civil engineers I have never noticed an aeronautical engineering job.

ReputationRep:
    i really should be saying which do you have more of a passion for, as thats what matters. Both courses have good job prospects. everyone who says that it's hard to come by aero jobs, i don't know personally, but you could probably work in mechanical/materials having done aero, not to mention outside sectors love engineering graduate's skills.

honestly, youre 3 civil courses are about the same caliber. same grade range and relative quality. go for where you feel happiest living. for me personally, ive chosen Manchester (starting in september). (we have a bobber and wind tunnels!!)

if you wanna come there, see you in Freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter what university you go for as long as it is accredited by the ice and it is a beng or meng. bsc's dont stand in good stead for employability.

If it isnt accredited by ice dont bother it doesnt matter what the uni says about being accredited by other institutes some companies only allow applicants who have an ice acredited degree in civil eng.

AS for aero eng.

Dont listen to the bs about probably get a job in mecahanics/materials thats what mechaical engineers and material engineers are for. Google graduate engineers jobs and you will see there are lots of civil eng and I have yet to come across an aero (not that I have been looking though).

ReputationRep:
    i'm not peddling bs rmcmdo. i was merely suggesting mechanical/materials engineering. after all, aerospace is a combination of the two, focused on the design of aircraft. i dont know which discipline has the most jobs; i was just working out possible job paths.

dont shoot me down for trying to help, yeah?

Rich

ReputationRep:
    I did a law module in my first and second year doesnt mean I can be lawyer. I also did mechanics/materials in both my first and second year as civil engineering it is a combination of the two also. And a number of different modules, it doesnt mean there is a career path there.

I aint shooting you down I am merely just pointing out that this is inaccurate information. If you listen to the speil given out by the careers advise centres and universities you can become a prime minister from a psychology degree because you have studied people or some other bs.

ReputationRep:
    ok, ill let u off. im a civil engineer student soon; aero doesnt interest me.

ReputationRep:
    why are u arguing about a 3 years old thread?

ReputationRep:
    hell, im not the one who resurrected it. i dont look at thread dates, i just look on the first page of the forum. if its 3 years old, whats the point? cheers alexy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.