Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've accepted an unconditional offer from a college, and now they've sent me a letter requesting my original exam certificate for "Matriculation purposes"... Does anyone know why they would want it, since they've already got a certified copy with my application form? Do they think that I've cheated, or do they have some arcane use for the certificate that I can't fathom?

Every time I hear from them I get all paranoid, half expecting them to revoke my offer. Any opinions on when you can consider yourself out of danger? I hate this waiting and won't be able to relax until I'm actually there.

Sorry to bother you all with my insecurities.

ReputationRep:
    I was never asked for any certificates - only copies of my AS module results. They didn't even ask for my A2 certificates, I could be an imposter. But I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    That does sound rather strange - I only got asked to send certificate copies to New Hall when I accepted my offer. Your best bet is probably to phone St John's and ask the reason for their request. Otherwise, stop worrying! You've got an unconditional offer, so they can't retract it; you're safe now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    That does sound rather strange - I only got asked to send certificate copies to New Hall when I accepted my offer. Your best bet is probably to phone St John's and ask the reason for their request.
    When did you get asked this, and do you know why they want them? My letter asks for either the original certificate or a certified transcript.
    They only received my UCAS acceptance slip in late february, so if the colleges actually do ask for certificates (or certified transcripts), then I suppose this would have been their first chance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, at my college (Christ's) I got asked for my certificates. Wouldn't worry about it - some colleges just have different requirements in their constitutions for admitting undergraduates. Don't worry - as long as you haven't been telling fibs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_R)
    Don't worry - as long as you haven't been telling fibs.
    Now that would be stupid if someone did.

ReputationRep:
    I had to bring my certificates with me when I went up, took them to the tutorial office; they checked them very briefly and then I signed the matriculation sheet. Easy. Don't know why John's are being arsey, but seeing as nobody here is actually there, we can't help you specifically. You'll have to call them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I had to bring my certificates with me when I went up, took them to the tutorial office; they checked them very briefly and then I signed the matriculation sheet. Easy. Don't know why John's are being arsey, but seeing as nobody here is actually there, we can't help you specifically. You'll have to call them.
    I did indeed get asked for my certificates. WHich was quite a problem because I had lost one of them and had to pay about £20 for a new one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to send my certificates after I got my offer. It must be a standard procedure kind of thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I've been asked to send my certificates after I got my offer. It must be a standard procedure kind of thing
    Spose so. Do you know what they actually use them for?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.