x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone please help me in these?

define growth in terms of increase in dry mass

define development in terms of increase in complexity

The environmental conditions affecting germination

---------

i so far have got

Growth – The process by which an organism changes in size and in form. Increase in dry mass.

Development – Increase in complexity. Relative body parts change in size.

The environmental conditions affecting germination

Amount of oxygen
    Temperature
    Amount of water
    Amount of light

thanks

ReputationRep:
    sounds about right

ReputationRep:
    Development - I wouldn't have said that this involves an "increase in size of relative body parts". I would have put that down to growth (which obviously happens during development but isn't strictly an increase in complexity (using your definitions). Differentiation of cells, their migration and organisation into tissues and in turn organisation of tissues into organs would be put down to development.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, can someone help check if these meanings are correct? thanks

Genotype – A description of the genes you have. Inheritable information. Information stored that is used as a set of instructions for reproducing offspring. e.g. Bb maybe give you black hair, but you may pass on the b chromosome which is for blonde hair.

Phenotype – The appearance of one’s physical attributes. Almost anything that is observable. e.g. hair colour, height.

Homozygous – An individual with two same alleles for a particular gene, e.g. BB or bb

Heterozygous – An individual with two different alleles for a particular gene, e.g. Bb

Dominant – A dominant allele/gene is the one which will always determine the characteristic which appears as your phenotype. e.g. Black hair. It dominates a recessive allele on the other chromosome.

Recessive – An allele which will only affect how the organism turns out if there’s no dominant allele.

Mitosis – The exact duplication of chromosomes resulting in identical daughter nuclei. The process of cell division where one cell splits into two identical cells.

Meiosis – The production of gametes by halving the chromosome number leading to variation. Meiosis halves the number of chromosomes in cells. This process produces sperm or egg cells. In humans, meiosis only happens in the testes or the ovaries.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imre)
    anyone?
    Looks basically right. I may word a few things slightly differently for clarity but no glaring errors.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, do you mind giving me your versions of the definitions?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.