?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
can someone please help me in these?

define growth in terms of increase in dry mass

define development in terms of increase in complexity

The environmental conditions affecting germination

---------

i so far have got

Growth – The process by which an organism changes in size and in form. Increase in dry mass.

Development – Increase in complexity. Relative body parts change in size.

The environmental conditions affecting germination

Amount of oxygen
Temperature
Amount of water
Amount of light

thanks
rahmed
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
sounds about right
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Development - I wouldn't have said that this involves an "increase in size of relative body parts". I would have put that down to growth (which obviously happens during development but isn't strictly an increase in complexity (using your definitions). Differentiation of cells, their migration and organisation into tissues and in turn organisation of tissues into organs would be put down to development.
arsenalfan.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
ok thanks, can someone help check if these meanings are correct? thanks

Genotype – A description of the genes you have. Inheritable information. Information stored that is used as a set of instructions for reproducing offspring. e.g. Bb maybe give you black hair, but you may pass on the b chromosome which is for blonde hair.

Phenotype – The appearance of one’s physical attributes. Almost anything that is observable. e.g. hair colour, height.

Homozygous – An individual with two same alleles for a particular gene, e.g. BB or bb

Heterozygous – An individual with two different alleles for a particular gene, e.g. Bb

Dominant – A dominant allele/gene is the one which will always determine the characteristic which appears as your phenotype. e.g. Black hair. It dominates a recessive allele on the other chromosome.

Recessive – An allele which will only affect how the organism turns out if there’s no dominant allele.

Mitosis – The exact duplication of chromosomes resulting in identical daughter nuclei. The process of cell division where one cell splits into two identical cells.

Meiosis – The production of gametes by halving the chromosome number leading to variation. Meiosis halves the number of chromosomes in cells. This process produces sperm or egg cells. In humans, meiosis only happens in the testes or the ovaries.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
anyone?
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by imre)
anyone?
Looks basically right. I may word a few things slightly differently for clarity but no glaring errors.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
ok thanks, do you mind giving me your versions of the definitions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (9)
7.96%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (12)
10.62%
No, but maybe I will look into it (28)
24.78%
No and I wouldn't consider it (64)
56.64%

Watched Threads