Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can never see where to use the passive in the translation section of the AQA A2 exam. Help please!

ReputationRep:
    you can turn around lots of sentences from active to passive,
    eg I ate the apple > "The apple was eaten", la pomme a été mangée.
    so the object becomes the subject.
    Also, there's lots of cases in describing, eg 'the man was killed,'
    for AQA, do you have to use the passive?

ReputationRep:
    The active has a subject performing an action, 'I killed him'. Any sentence where the agent perfoming the action is not given must be passive, 'He was killed'.

ReputationRep:
    I used to remember one sentence in the passive, which would help me remember what the passive looks like in all tenses:

The door is opened (by the cleaner) - La porte est ouverte (par le nettoyeur)
    The door was opened (by the cleaner) - La porte était ouverte (par le nettoyeur)
    The door has been opened (by the cleaner) - La porte a été ouverte (par le nettoyeur)
    The door had been opened (by the cleaner) - La porte avait été ouverte (par le nettoyeur)

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Check out these websites, they are very useful.
    http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa012300.htm
    http://french.about.com/library/weekly/aa012300u.htm

They mention how you can avoid using the passive as well as describing its uses and formation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.