Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What are they basically? I know they're introduced during electron microscopy, but how exactly? & what effect do they have on your specimen? Do they make it unclear...?:confused:

Help appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Artefacts are pieces of non-organic material that are derived from the methods used to prepare the specimen for microscopy. So an artefact may be a lump of heavy metal or such like. So they are nothing to do with the specimen itself, just a result of the stains and such like which are used to make the specimen suitable for electron microscopy.

Artefacts are very common and virtually impossible to eliminate. They basically look like a 'splodge' on the specimen lol. So if you are going to produce a photomicrograph, you just move around the specimen to find an area that doesn't have any artefacts.

I got to play with a SEM for an hour or so last term and it was great fun! The new ones are all computer controlled and so easy to use!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To my knowledge they're just things that shouldn't be there and are misleading when looking at the specimen e.g. look like organelles when they're not. Its kind of a contamination isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    for example, an artefact occurs when tissues are fixed and prepared in a way that gives the wrong impression of a tissue's appearance in vivo. Like the endomysium looks wider than it actually is in muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Our EM building is getting some Wet SEM capsules this summer....they look amazing! From what i've seen, everything looks drastically different in hydrated, natural conditions (perhaps not surprisingly).

ReputationRep:
    Yes....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.