x Turn on thread page Beta

Sri Lanka is going back in time!(really) watch

Announcements

Well, it's true.

As the clock strikes twelve and the moon shifts behind the clouds, a force more terrible than anyone could imagine grips

On the 14th/15th, abit after Friday midnight, Sri Lanka will go back half an hour. That is, we will shift from +600GMT to +5:30GMT.

Er, I thought the mods should know and change the time settings.

EDIT: According to Arvi, it's at 12.30. We go back to 12.00 midnight. Imagine the lucky kids born at this time

ReputationRep:
    Wait..so you guys will be in the same time zone as India again?

ReputationRep:
    I assume this has something to do with DST.. surely it can't be a permanent change?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, same as India. We are going back to the 'actual' time zone of Sri Lanka because in 1996 clocks were put forward by one hour and then later brought back by half an hour. So for the last 10 years we've been +6 GMT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    I assume this has something to do with DST.. surely it can't be a permanent change?
    No, not DST... Its a permenant change to +5.30 GMT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    On the 14th Friday, at midnight, Sri Lanka will go back half an hour. That is, we will shift from +600GMT to +5:30GMT.
    The time is officially changing at 12.30am..

So at 12.30am it becomes 12am again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArVi)
    Yeah, same as India. We are going back to the 'actual' time zone of Sri Lanka because in 1996 clocks were put forward by one hour and then later brought back by half an hour. So for the last 10 years we've been +6 GMT
    Why was it brought forward by an hour at the first place? And just brought backwards by 30mins?

ReputationRep:
    Why was it brought forward by an hour at the first place? And just brought backwards by 30mins?
    In 1996 there was a power crisis in Sri Lanka with like 8 hour power-cuts every day. The thinking was that by bringing the clock forward, there would be more light in the evenings and so less demand for electricity. Then in like October 1996 or something they decided to bring it back by half an hour, and now in April 2006 they are bringing it back by half an hour again, so that we're +5.30 GMT.

ReputationRep:
    Read this: BBC News Article about the Sri Lanka time change.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's interesting. Never thought countries would resort to such an extreme measure.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's interesting. Never thought countries would resort to such an extreme measure.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Every summer I have to change my watch by 30 mins (which is a lot more fiddly than changing it by an hour), as we always travel from India to Sri Lanka or vice-versa. At least now I can keep it on the same time.

Not that it's much use this time anyway, since we won't be going to Sri Lanka =\

ReputationRep:
    Now this is really confusing

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just add "Colombo" to the list of places that are +5.30GMT

Thanks pig

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I found almost every comment in this thread hilarious .. I must be going crazy faster than I though

(Original post by dimexi)
    I don't know why I found almost every comment in this thread hilarious .. I must be going crazy faster than I though
    Do you like the part in my first post which was chopped off? I had a whole story planned but I figured Pig and co. wouldn't be very amused so I decided to do away with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    Do you like the part in my first post which was chopped off? I had a whole story planned but I figured Pig and co. wouldn't be very amused so I decided to do away with it
    I did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArVi)
    In 1996 there was a power crisis in Sri Lanka with like 8 hour power-cuts every day. The thinking was that by bringing the clock forward, there would be more light in the evenings and so less demand for electricity. Then in like October 1996 or something they decided to bring it back by half an hour, and now in April 2006 they are bringing it back by half an hour again, so that we're +5.30 GMT.
    now thats economics!

how does that logic work? doesnt that mean the early morning hours are lost? morning hours are the most productie ones, and losing them means more loss economically. invest them in power projects. anyways, happy time change!:cool:

Exactly now we go half an hour back

ReputationRep:
    now thats a time consuming job....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.