The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2015 - Let the Games Begin

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3020
Original post by Lizzieh811
I have an assessment centre with Kennedys next week! Would appreciate any help and advice with the tasks that I will soon face. Happy to exchange details concerning interviews with Baker & McKenzie, CMS Cameron McKenna, Allen & Overy, and the telephone interview with Kennedys too.

Private message me and we can get a conversation going!

Thanks,
Lizzie

Which office did you apply to? Good luck with it!
Reply 3021
Original post by legalsnippets
This is soul destroying! - I propose a revolution where everyone stops applying for TCs in 2014,15 and 16 - suddenly the market will be dry and no new lawyers-2-b searching for TCs! ... The market would be saturated (or you would hope it would) with firms approaching students to join their TCs! God forbid we'd ever go back to the original way in the early 2000s when firms actually offered third years and graduates Golden Hellos to joint their firms! Perhaps this idea needs a tweak here or there, but nostalgic food for thought!

Yes - when law firms were as diversified as a Mayfair Gentlemans Lounge...

Sounds awesome... :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3022
For anyone waiting on Squire Sanders, I just spoke to HR. They said they are still reviewing all applications across their UK offices and will release decisions in the next 2-3 weeks. Hope that helps!!
Original post by Subtle15
Has anyone heard from RPC following the holding email?

They've held all their assessment centres.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey did anyone here have an interview at morgan lewis? If so, have you heard back? Thanks!
PFO from Herbert Smith today. Oh dear, only one application left standing...
Original post by LLMW
Yes - when law firms were as diversified as a Mayfair Gentlemans Lounge...

Sounds awesome... :rolleyes:
I think you missed the point here - it was not about diversification, it was about students and graduates with the ability to be lawyers being selected to be lawyers, perhaps even more diversity than there is now - only those from the top, at the top get to the top. I am sure every person on here is MORE than capable of being exceptional lawyers, but it takes longer than it should (for the calibre of people applying) and one thinks that once you have finished the tough academic training and LPC and the finances that go with it, we would be in a position to call at least some of the shots - instead, we fight for the very few places there are- I guess it is a shame that this is the way it is, it will never be the same again
I think you missed the point here - it was not about diversification, it was about students and graduates with the ability to be lawyers being selected to be lawyers, perhaps even more diversity than there is now - only those from the top, at the top get to the top. I am sure every person on here is MORE than capable of being exceptional lawyers, but it takes longer than it should (for the calibre of people applying) and one thinks that once you have finished the tough academic training and LPC and the finances that go with it, we would be in a position to call at least some of the shots - instead, we fight for the very few places there are- I guess it is a shame that this is the way it is, it will never be the same again

Not sure how long you have been doing this for, but in 2000, I was 8 years old, and my primary concern was how to get a Charizard pokemon card. I knew nothing of the legal profession.

This is the climate we have been born into, and the one we have to accept. Saying it will never be the same again is something that partners at firms now may be able to say. We however only know this competitive climate.
Just try to be positive and get on with it.
Original post by cranberryjuce
hey did anyone here have an interview at morgan lewis? If so, have you heard back? Thanks!

I know someone who has an offer.
Original post by Gateway15
Not sure how long you have been doing this for, but in 2000, I was 8 years old, and my primary concern was how to get a Charizard pokemon card. I knew nothing of the legal profession.

This is the climate we have been born into, and the one we have to accept. Saying it will never be the same again is something that partners at firms now may be able to say. We however only know this competitive climate.
Just try to be positive and get on with it.

Thank you for your patronising words, please bear in mind that people are older than you and I am. I am going to hazard a guess that you are in your third year - I am currently working as a paralegal and have been for the past two years since I graduated with my LLB - Think I know the climate and to correct you, we were not born into this climate, you were born in the early 90s (which was also a recessive period) followed by a substantial boom in the 00s when everything was great - I am sure you can remember when you were 17 (assuming you had traded you last Charizard Pokémon card) working in a booming world, whether it was a bar where people were happy to spend or shop or wherever... I guess it is lucky we live in a democracy where we can agree to disagree.
Thank you for your patronising words, please bear in mind that people are older than you and I am. I am going to hazard a guess that you are in your third year - I am currently working as a paralegal and have been for the past two years since I graduated with my LLB - Think I know the climate and to correct you, we were not born into this climate, you were born in the early 90s (which was also a recessive period) followed by a substantial boom in the 00s when everything was great - I am sure you can remember when you were 17 (assuming you had traded you last Charizard Pokémon card) working in a booming world, whether it was a bar where people were happy to spend or shop or wherever... I guess it is lucky we live in a democracy where we can agree to disagree.

Dude, relax. I think we all know why it is not working out for you. It's not the climate, it is just you being extremely confrontational, negative and difficult.

Also, anyone who is anyone came across pokémon. How sad was your childhood?
Reply 3031

I think these words are patronising.

Clearly Gateway15 meant that we were born at a time which would lead us to applying today (post-crash). They do not mean that the 90s were a bad climate. How is it of any significance? You were a few years old in the early 90s, I doubt you would have had the merits to secure a training contract then.

Oh and I concur, Pokémon was fantastic.
Dude, relax. I think we all know why it is not working out for you. It's not the climate, it is just you being extremely confrontational, negative and difficult.

Also, anyone who is anyone came across pokémon. How sad was your childhood?

Clearly not as sad as yours....
Original post by Lawy3r
I think these words are patronising.

Clearly Gateway15 meant that we were born at a time which would lead us to applying today (post-crash). They do not mean that the 90s were a bad climate. How is it of any significance? You were a few years old in the early 90s, I doubt you would have had the merits to secure a training contract then.

Oh and I concur, Pokémon was fantastic.

Clearly I was not addressing you...
Reply 3034
Clearly I was not addressing you...

Oh I am terribly sorry. I thought we lived in a democracy as you so eloquently put it.
Anyway, back to the point of this thread... apologies to everyone who had to read that juvenile exchange
Reply 3036
I've never really understood the "back in my day" types... Nice story, but we live in the present... Stop harking back to a, albeit nicer (TC wise), yesteryear.
Anyway, back to the point of this thread... apologies to everyone who had to read that juvenile exchange

Lol. Terribly sorry grandpa. Shame all that wisdom and knowledge has not got you a TC. You should be taking tips from the kids. Most of us seem to have one.
Lol. Terribly sorry grandpa. Shame all that wisdom and knowledge has not got you a TC. You should be taking tips from the kids. Most of us seem to have one.

Do you have a training contract?
I know someone who has an offer.

thanks- did they do a vacation scheme there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending