The Student Room Group

Boyfriend texting other girls?

Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if your boyfriend texted another girl? I don't mean once or twice-or constantly either-maybe a couple of times a day. Would you be annoyed by it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you text other boys a couple of times a day? I'd probably gauge it by how often he texts his friends in general.
Reply 2
Original post by deedee123
Just out of curiosity, how would you feel if your boyfriend texted another girl? I don't mean once or twice-or constantly either-maybe a couple of times a day. Would you be annoyed by it?

Me personally.. And obviously if it was my girlfriend.. yes.
Reply 3

So many factors to consider:

1. Is this a friend?
2. Long term friend or someone he'd recently met?
3. What kind of stuff do they talk about; i.e. it's a work colleague and always work related or is it flirty?
4. Would he let you read the texts?
5. Why are you bothered?

If it's a long term friend who he has been friends with since nursery and he's happy for me to read his texts (not saying I'd read them but it's the sentiment that counts) then I wouldn't be annoyed. I'd probably tease him about "his other girlfriend". If it's someone he's recently met and he's being cagey, I'd be more annoyed and question what his problem was...
I dunno.

I speak to this girl loads and she has a boyfriend. We speak pretty much every day and have done for years. I've never flirted with her or anything like that. You can be friends and text the opposite sex without anything going on but I think it's rare. I would be worried probably, especially if he's just met this girl, it'd be different if it were a friend they've had for years.
Reply 5
Original post by h-g-1
So many factors to consider:

1. Is this a friend?
2. Long term friend or someone he'd recently met?
3. What kind of stuff do they talk about; i.e. it's a work colleague and always work related or is it flirty?
4. Would he let you read the texts?
5. Why are you bothered?

If it's a long term friend who he has been friends with since nursery and he's happy for me to read his texts (not saying I'd read them but it's the sentiment that counts) then I wouldn't be annoyed. I'd probably tease him about "his other girlfriend". If it's someone he's recently met and he's being cagey, I'd be more annoyed and question what his problem was...

Yeah it's a friend. I'm not hugely bothered by it, i wouldn't have an argument over it or anything, i was just interested in any other opinions. It's a work friend he met a few months ago. Probably, i wouldn't ask though, i'm not like that. I tease him about it but it does annoy me but i don't know if i'm just being silly :P
Reply 6
he doesn't hide that he's texting her or anything, if he was i'd be really worried by it. I don't know whether it's completely appropriate though, it is my first relationship so i'm no expert on this stuff.
Reply 7
Yeah it's a friend. I'm not hugely bothered by it, i wouldn't have an argument over it or anything, i was just interested in any other opinions. It's a work friend he met a few months ago. Probably, i wouldn't ask though, i'm not like that. I tease him about it but it does annoy me but i don't know if i'm just being silly :P

He doesn't hide it - that's probably the main thing. Still, texting every single day is a bit full on. You can still be annoyed but just don't let it cloud your relationship is everything else is good. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by h-g-1
He doesn't hide it - that's probably the main thing. Still, texting every single day is a bit full on. You can still be annoyed but just don't let it cloud your relationship is everything else is good. :smile:

Yeah, you're right, i just thought i'd get the thoughts of some strangers! thanks :smile: x
Reply 9
he doesn't hide that he's texting her or anything, if he was i'd be really worried by it. I don't know whether it's completely appropriate though, it is my first relationship so i'm no expert on this stuff.

I think it's fine dude. Some people are serial texters and just text a lot, I personally don't but that's because I'm too lazy to text, I'd rather just call a friend.

People who get insecure over there bf/gf texting another person really need to address their own issues as opposed to thinking that it is a problem.
Reply 10
Original post by Hopple
Do you text other boys a couple of times a day? I'd probably gauge it by how often he texts his friends in general.

Not really, none that i speak to regularly through text anyway.
Reply 11
if he doesn't hide it its probably because he doesn't think of it as something wrong, therefore its probably safe to assume that the content of these texts is not inappropriate therefore its probably fine.
Reply 12
Original post by NW86
I think it's fine dude. Some people are serial texters and just text a lot, I personally don't but that's because I'm too lazy to text, I'd rather just call a friend.

People who get insecure over there bf/gf texting another person really need to address their own issues as opposed to thinking that it is a problem.

It's not like i'm raging about it, i haven't argued with him about it or anything, i think you're still allowed to get jealous over things as long as you don't make a big deal out of it-which i'm not.
Original post by NW86

Not in every case as it can be a problem.
It depends - I wouldn't mind if a gf of mine sent text to other guys everyday as long as: 1) they weren't proper flirty 2) the texting didn't interrupt our time together (i.e. texting some other guy instead of talking to me).
Stop being paranoid. Just because he's your boyfriend doesn't mean that you own him 100% and that he can't text other girls.
Me and my ex didn't have this problem.
Reply 17
Original post by Flying Pig
Stop being paranoid. Just because he's your boyfriend doesn't mean that you own him 100% and that he can't text other girls.

Sorry,but I can't find where in this conversation I said I own him and that im forbidding him from texting other Girls? Pretty sure I've said that it doesn't bother me hugely if you'd read the posts :wink:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 18
both my girlfriend and I have close friends of the opposite sex who we talk to a lot. I really dont mind, and neither does she really, but I get occasionally paranoid if there's evidence that she trusts him more then me etc, which there isn't really :P
If it was everyday for no particular reason, then yes I'd be bothered. Especially because he's not very good at keeping in contact with me anyway. But if it was a friend who he was texting about, I don't know, his course, or plans for meeting up every now and then, then no, not bothered. Context is everything.

Additionally, you could just ask him whether he thinks there are feelings between them and then take his answer as it comes. When I get jealous I just ask my bf if he thinks there's anything there, if he says no, I let it drop, because I have to trust that he'd tell me the truth.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply