Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone experienced sibling rivalry in their family? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just a bit of research, I would be grateful if you can help. A simple yes or no will be great, I just want to know if the majority have or haven't experienced it. I won't define sibling rivalrg absolutely, as I've left it to your own interpretation but any sort of competition or anything counts. It doesn't necessarily have to be negative to be called rivalry. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    I'm the eldest of six, and no. I'm the best anyway

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    How about a HELL YES.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. My sister is a year older than me, and more sciencey, and I'm more artsy. I remember in year 11 in science, my teacher had a real problem with me because she'd taught my sister and would say "Your sister wouldn't have done that", or "Your sister would have known that". etc etc. Gets a bit old!! I did feel like i had to compete for a while but i soon realised we were better at different things and I had plenty of advantages over her :p:

ReputationRep:
    Heck yes. Too much!

ReputationRep:
    Not since I was about thirteen (and he was 15). It especially decreased after we did totally different A-Levels, so it's harder to compare, and we're doing different degrees at different unis. But generally speaking, by the time i was 14 or so, and he was 16, we'd appreciated where we were both better han each other, and just lived with it. It's never been a problem, and i've never felt pressured by the thing he's accomplished (though it did feel good passing my driving test 3.5 months after my 17th birthday, where as it took him just over a year!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Every god damn day.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, not majorly though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I experience it all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an only child but a friend of mine thinks his parents like his brother better. So he tries to be amazing all the time but just ends up tiring himself out. Tis a shame

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes...I'm the second eldest of 5, and the quietest. I'm usually the one my older brother and younger sis used to pick on. My younger sister has rather big mouth and we'd always get into arguments, but her voice always drowns mine. We kind of get along nowadays, though.
    My older brother and I started getting along well right about the time I turned 12 and he was about 17. He sort off realised he'll be heading of to uni soon (aboard ) and he didn't want to leave on a bad note, so he was extra nice to all of us. He's still incredibly thoughtful, especially towards my mom, and I.
    I still cry every time he has to leave.

I'm an only child but a friend of mine thinks his parents like his brother better. So he tries to be amazing all the time but just ends up tiring himself out. Tis a shame
    I despise biased parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizfissy815)
    I despise biased parents.
    Note my use of the word 'thinks'. His parents love him just as much as his brother and sister, but he has this strange complex.

ReputationRep:
    My sister is a *****, "nuff said".

ReputationRep:
    As much a ***** as you are ferrus?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, stupid hard working sister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarence)
    As much a ***** as you are ferrus?
    I'm offended, I consider myself a very urbane individual.

ReputationRep:
    When you looked at the main TSR page it said: Has anyone experienced.....Bum sex

Because bum sex is a topic in H&R forum, you know? I thought it was funny. :p:

On topic now...My sisters don't like me doing well at uni because they think it shows them up as dumb, but apart from mild *****in', there isn't much rivalry in my family.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.