The Student Room Group

DENTISTRY University Replies 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Solid.Snake
Same here...

sameee
Original post by _HabibaH_

I also read somewhere something possibly like... 'Should someone on severe medication/regular intensive treatment be allowed to practice Dentistry?'

In a situation where dentist and patient have an interest conflict...what to do? E.g. Dentist recommends treatment that is perhaps necessary, patient refuses...

Is it okay to tell a white lie if it gets the job done? Should patients be treated as 'a means to an end?'

Importance of informed consent (veracity), non-maleficence, justice for all, confidentiality, always being beneficent...

There are specific ethics theories too...but not looked at that yet.

Okay so writing this is freaking me out...I just discovered some of this five minutes ago...makes you wonder how much more there is! O.O

Good stuff. Where did you get the info?
Reply 442

I also read somewhere something possibly like... 'Should someone on severe medication/regular intensive treatment be allowed to practice Dentistry?'

In a situation where dentist and patient have an interest conflict...what to do? E.g. Dentist recommends treatment that is perhaps necessary, patient refuses...

Is it okay to tell a white lie if it gets the job done? Should patients be treated as 'a means to an end?'

Importance of informed consent (veracity), non-maleficence, justice for all, confidentiality, always being beneficent...

Okay so writing this is freaking me out...I just discovered some of this five minutes ago...makes you wonder how much more there is! O.O

Thats all there is really haha. You've literally convered 90% of what could come up - The definitions you've mentioned are perfect :smile:
Original post by cptKernow
Good stuff. Where did you get the info?

https://www.dentallearning.org/course/fde0053-10/Coursebook_FULL.pdf

So far I've only read this...and that was to answer the other question. Except the scenarios, everything else I said was from here.
Reply 444

So far I've only read this...and that was to answer the other question. Except the scenarios, everything else I said was from here.

The link isn't working ??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 445
has anybody been on the AceMedicine interview course?
Original post by Shiggy G
The link isn't working ??

Okay then go to www.dentalethics.org ...you'll find the link there. You'll find other links that might help too.

And it's a PDF so maybe your device doesn't support it.
Reply 447
Okay then go to www.dentalethics.org ...you'll find the link there. You'll find other links that might help too.

And it's a PDF so maybe your device doesn't support it.

hey,

thanks for the link, you seem really clued up lol. where have you applied? and have you heard anything yet?
Reply 448
Original post by Zkhan17
has anybody been on the AceMedicine interview course?

erm, i want to go but i don't know how useful it will be. whens ur interview?
Original post by dent2k13
hey,

thanks for the link, you seem really clued up lol. where have you applied? and have you heard anything yet?

No problem about the link. Clued up? no way. I'm a gap year student so it may appear so but I had no interviews last year so I'm just as clueless as everyone else.

Applied to Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Plymouth and Manchester for MNeuroSci (fifth choice). What about you?

Only an interview from Manchester for my fifth choice and from Plymouth for Dentistry.

Thanks - Link worked for me
Reply 451
Original post by dent2k13
erm, i want to go but i don't know how useful it will be. whens ur interview?

i havent got any replies yet but theres one tomorrow so ive decided to book it. I was just wondering if it was any good
Reply 452
Original post by hasdude
Rejection from Cardiff ! Yay :/

Hi Has, I hope you don't mind me asking, but what are your stats? :smile:
Reply 453

Jeez thats actually so scary LOL trying to cover every aspect to the best you can is really hard cause you dont know what to expect |: i also wanted to ask if it would be okay to like use a case from my work experience to back up why i want to dentistry i dont want to look bad cause theres all this stuff with patient confidentiality :/
Reply 454
Original post by miiroseh
Jeez thats actually so scary LOL trying to cover every aspect to the best you can is really hard cause you dont know what to expect |: i also wanted to ask if it would be okay to like use a case from my work experience to back up why i want to dentistry i dont want to look bad cause theres all this stuff with patient confidentiality :/

lol I would try not to breach patient confidentiality during an interview. Although as long as you don't mention any names you should be fine. Just say 'a patient' rather than 'Mrs X'. :smile:
Reply 455
i dont think i'd remember there name anyway haha :L but that sounds good, thankyou :smile:

I suppose so. As long as you put it as 'something I saw while I was gaining clinical experience...' it should be okay, no?
Reply 457
Ethics meaning fluoride , oral cancer, mercury fillings, nhs contract etc?

Hey, sorry if this is a silly question but what are the ethics surrounding oral cancer?
I know a lot of u have got interviews coming up, so I decided to post this, hope u guys find it helpful :smile:

When asked what it means to be granted an offer:

"You are in the driver's seat, when you are an applicant. I don't think it feels that way. Right? You go into an interview and you feel like you're being judged and you feel like all the power is on the other side of the table. But that's not the truth. Schools are only interviewing people they're very interested in. Everybody we interview is somebody we are very impressed by and somebody we are quite convinced that would be an outstanding student at this university. And so we interview 500 people and if our class size was 500, we would have no trouble in accepting all of them. So our attitude is 'These are terrific people who have succeeded in coming through a very highly-demanding, competitive process to be among the handful of people we interview. We will want them. That's not just here, that's everywhere. The people that all medical schools are inviting to the interview are people they are really interested in. So, the first thing for an applicant to realize in, is you have some power in this interaction. And you should relax, and be confident, and be yourself. The school has already decided that it's yourself they're interested in. So I think that's the first thing and [that] is to recognize that the school is being judged as you're being judged and to take that part seriously. And I think the second piece of general advice is don't over-rehearse. I think one of the thing that plays badly in an interview is that it sounds like there is a little tape recorder in your head of the things you think you should say but really they're not being responsive to the question or to the flow of conversation. So I think it's important to do a little practicing and a little rehearsing with people and to get comfortable with the interview setting. Some people are really good at that as virtue of their personalities and for other people it's a struggle. We recognize that so a little practice is fine. But I actually think that the people who come in over-practiced and over-rehearsed look over-practiced and over-rehearsed and it doesn't work to their advantage."

Reply 459
Original post by shahab2000
I know a lot of u have got interviews coming up, so I decided to post this, hope u guys find it helpful :smile:

When asked what it means to be granted an offer:

"You are in the driver's seat, when you are an applicant. I don't think it feels that way. Right? You go into an interview and you feel like you're being judged and you feel like all the power is on the other side of the table. But that's not the truth. Schools are only interviewing people they're very interested in. Everybody we interview is somebody we are very impressed by and somebody we are quite convinced that would be an outstanding student at this university. And so we interview 500 people and if our class size was 500, we would have no trouble in accepting all of them. So our attitude is 'These are terrific people who have succeeded in coming through a very highly-demanding, competitive process to be among the handful of people we interview. We will want them. That's not just here, that's everywhere. The people that all medical schools are inviting to the interview are people they are really interested in. So, the first thing for an applicant to realize in, is you have some power in this interaction. And you should relax, and be confident, and be yourself. The school has already decided that it's yourself they're interested in. So I think that's the first thing and [that] is to recognize that the school is being judged as you're being judged and to take that part seriously. And I think the second piece of general advice is don't over-rehearse. I think one of the thing that plays badly in an interview is that it sounds like there is a little tape recorder in your head of the things you think you should say but really they're not being responsive to the question or to the flow of conversation. So I think it's important to do a little practicing and a little rehearsing with people and to get comfortable with the interview setting. Some people are really good at that as virtue of their personalities and for other people it's a struggle. We recognize that so a little practice is fine. But I actually think that the people who come in over-practiced and over-rehearsed look over-practiced and over-rehearsed and it doesn't work to their advantage."

Thanks, who wrote this?

Quick Reply

Latest