?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Writing an essay....
pompompandapple
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They weren't given a chance to negotiate the total sum.
Germany claimed that the treaty was an attempt to destroy their economy.
Payments only began after France and Britain invaded Germany in January 1921.
Germany finally paid off the reparations bill on Sunday 3rd October 2010, 92 years after the war ended.
The country went through a depression, with businesses and people losing a lot of money.
Many people lost their jobs.
Hyperinflation caused their money to become so worthless, it was given to children to play with.
It caused widespread inflation and poverty in Germany.
Chesca93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They were having to pay the reparations back though they still thought it was a "stab in the back",
there was the Wall Street Crash
which led to hyper inflation
money became worthless
people lost their jobs/houses/possessions
Encouraged them to vote for the Nazi party
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Various observations...

Look at the psychological impact of reparations on the German people. It wasn't just a question of the actual amount to be repaid but how the burden was perceived. 'Three generations of forced labour' was a rallying cry for the far-right.

Was the scale of reparations an impossible burden? Many economists at the time (eg Keynes) thought it would be disastrous. But there is a considerable body of historical thought (Tooze, Peukert, Ferguson - pulling what I have from my bookshelf!) which regards the level as being perfectly manageable. Between 1925-28 the repayments were made with relative ease. It was only in 1931 that Germany begged for a one-year postponement because of the worldwide recession and then finally suspended payments in the summer of 1932.

Hyper-inflation was not just caused by reparations (if at all). The Weimar Republic's policy of printing money, particularly to pay public workers taking part in the passive resistance to the occupation of the Ruhr (admittedly caused by a reparations default) had a disastrous effect on the currency.
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They had to take out a large loan from Wonga when they couldn't meet one of their monthly repayments, which increased the amount they owed by 4,563% per annum.
Berirrah_Yaqub12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Paying the reparations affected Germany gravely. They had to print Deutsch marks until it became worthless. People were blaming the government. 6.6bn marks was demanded from France, leaving Germany bankrupt. Also they had to spend money on their own economy to repair it as it had been damaged in the war, but due to the reparations they couldn’t. This angered the citizens in Germany who weren’t able to carry on a decent living. At the end this was what made people in Germany vote for the Nazi party, making Hitler the leaded of the country.
Det.JohnKimble
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Jews are an incredibly wealthy minority. In fact one of the many dislikes of Jews from the Germans back then was because the Germans were out of work with mass suicides while the Jews being a small minority had a lot of wealth and power like most of the banks, ownership of media. Germans being forced to pay reparations was so insulting given the Jews are already so rich.The rich and powerful get reparations, the poor black slaves get nothing.Sound right to you?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Det.JohnKimble)
Jews are an incredibly wealthy minority. In fact one of the many dislikes of Jews from the Germans back then was because the Germans were out of work with mass suicides while the Jews being a small minority had a lot of wealth and power like most of the banks, ownership of media. Germans being forced to pay reparations was so insulting given the Jews are already so rich.The rich and powerful get reparations, the poor black slaves get nothing.Sound right to you?
No, sounds like complete garbage TBH.

'Mass suicides'??? Er, when? where? who? how many?

The country paid reparations not individuals, so it wasn't as if German Jews evaded paying at the expense of other Germans, which is what you are implying. How was it insulting to Germans to have to pay reparations 'given the Jews were already so rich'? What has black slavery got to do with the topic?

Do you actually know anything about the subject or are you just plucking random prejudices out of the air?
essmee.dennehy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this is amazing!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.81%
I'm not sure (36)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (247)
30.46%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.47%
I'm not a current university student (396)
48.83%

Watched Threads