The Student Room Group

Largest age gap in a relationship?

So, I like this guy and I'm fairly certain he likes me. At the moment we're just flirting (a lot), but I've heard from sources that I trust that he's planning to ask me out soon. Anyway, I'm 18 and he's 24. This would be the largest age difference between me and any other guy I've dated.

To be honest, I haven't really thought about the age gap between us before. Nobody who knows us bats an eyelid. I just realised that if I was telling my friends at home (I'm at uni now) about it, they might be a little surprised at the age difference.

What's the largest age difference between you and anyone you've dated? What kind of age difference would put you off dating someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
I think once you're 18 it doesn't really matter unless the age gap is obvious, and once you're in your 20s no one cares - my cousin married a a lady 10 years younger than him and no one has ever mentioned it.

Personally I don't even think of your situation has having an age gap problem in the slightest!
Reply 3
you're 18-i think it makes it so much more acceptable to go out with someone older when you hit that age. Personally i think a 24 year old is too mature for me, (i'm 18 in a few months) but if you feel grown up enough then why the hell not? you're an adult now :smile: the oldest i've been is 2 years above me with my current boyfriend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Depends, I'm 24 and personally I find most 18 yr old girls kinda annoying. Fine for one night stands but not something for anything serious but I guess it depends on personal qualities. You might be a mature 18 or he might be less mature than me and thus skews younger in what he looks for.
12... me 18 him 30.....

yeah i was stupid but that's over and done with now :wink:
I started dating my boyfriend when I was 16 and he was 21...

EDIT: I'm not really sure why I'm being negged. If we're happy in a healthy, legal relationship that isn't harming anyone, what's the problem?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Yeah I agree. Since you're 18 and legally an adult, nobody can really say anything. Plus it sounds a lot more acceptable than say a 14 year old and a 20 year old, despite both age gaps being the same.
Sup to you :smile: 18 and 24 doesn't seem particularly strange.

I know I could never date a lad younger than me! (I'm 20). And the oldest I would go for would probably be 23. I don't know why. Everyone matures at different rates so, as long as both people are consenting adults, there's no right or wrong age difference in a relationship.
Reply 9
That is nothing! A friend of mine is 24 and going out with a 30 year old. Same gap
Reply 10
Me 23, her 27. I didn't mind, and neither did she. It was good

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
A friend is married to a lady who is 15 years younger than him.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Depends, I'm 24 and personally I find most 18 yr old girls kinda annoying. Fine for one night stands but not something for anything serious but I guess it depends on personal qualities. You might be a mature 18 or he might be less mature than me and thus skews younger in what he looks for.

A lot of people assume I'm older than I actually am when they talk to me, so I like to think I'm mature for my age.
There's a nine and a half age gap between me and my boyfriend. I'm 21 and he is 30. I recognise that this sounds like a large age gap -if a friend my age said she was seeing a 30 year old I'd be a bit surprised - but we are really compatible. 18 and 24 isn't much of an age gap at all, but its up to you to decide whether you feel you are at similar points in life etc. When I was 18 I'd say the oldest person I'd date would be 25.
Reply 14
I agree with that it's not just the gap it's the age itself that matters. The older the age the less significant the gap.
9 years older than me when I was about 23ish, 8 years younger than me last year. I'm 29 now.

But really I don't think it matters that much, it's more a state of mind thing. I know 18 year olds more mature than some 40 year olds, and 60 year olds who do more 'young' things than some 30 year olds.

There isn't any specific age gap that would put me off someone if I felt we went well together and connected mentally. I might draw the bottom line at 18 and the upper limit at 45 as a vague guide.
I was 19, and my bf 26 when we met. However I'm more mature than most people my age, and he's less, so it does balance out. Still together 2 years on.
Reply 17
As long as you're not doing a "Courtney Stodden & Doug Hutchinson" then you're pretty OK. :smile:
I'm 19 and my boyfriend is nearly 28, there's 8 years and 4 months between us. I've always said 10 years older was my limit but then that could have easily changed if I'd met someone older than that who I got on with really well.

Once you're 18, it's not so much of a big deal anyway.
Reply 19
Nah, 18-24 seems normal, good luck with him! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending