Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any need for your own computer for a Maths course at cambridge/imperial? Or would the university computer facilities suffice? How often do you use a computer?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about whether you need computers at Manchester or Durham? The Durham Maths staff said colleges have enough computers but students I spoke to seemed to think university without a computer was a bit crazy?

ReputationRep:
    If you're lazy, going to a computer lab is going to require a lot of effort, especially if it's 3am and you're working on an assignment that's due next morning and want to use the internet to look something up or use Maple/Mathematica to help check your answers or to rid yourself of all the mechanical work. Those are two things I've found myself doing a lot. Plus the internet sometimes helps kill boredom - and you will be bored at times.

On the other hand, computers are very good at being a distraction. But I guess you're gonna have to learn to restrain yourself after you realise that time management is a very necessary skill (of course this'll happen after your first term or two :p:).

So I guess it's up to you, but, personally, I couldn't live without mine.

ReputationRep:
    hmm... put aside the use of computers for your degree, whatever it may be. Computers are becoming pretty necessary in general. Car insurance, banking, shopping, TSR, general research, job searching some of the things from the top of my head...maybe even recipes if you can be asked. Most of that you would want to do from the comfort of your own home (i'd be reluctant to shop or bank on a public terminal), at your convenience. Computers dont cost much nowadays, you're good mate could probably build a quality one for £600 and that would last your whole time at uni.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.