Turn on thread page Beta

"Industrial Society"? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey im taking modern History as one of my first year minors so im not incredible at it. I have to do an essay on the Industrial Society of England in the 19th Century, but im not sure how to tackle the question. Does "Industrial" society refer to all features of society in that day (since the Industrial Revolution had made England an Industrial Society) or does it only mean society which relates to industry - like in the cities, middle class, working class, factory workers etc excluding agricultural stuff etc

Sorry if this seems obvious, maybe im just ****e at history, but any help would be 100% welcome. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Why not point out at the beginning fo your essay the dual meaning of the term, and then discuss both? You might even get extra credit for it...

Edit: What's the essay question? Personally I'd go with your first definition of 'industrial society', but I'd have to see the essay title to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    the essay title is pretty vague to be honest, it just asks how the 'industrial society' of 19th Century England is presented in artworks from the period. the first definition would certainly be more useful since it gives me alot more options for what to talk about. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chel)
    the essay title is pretty vague to be honest, it just asks how the 'industrial society' of 19th Century England is presented in artworks from the period. the first definition would certainly be more useful since it gives me alot more options for what to talk about. thanks
    Well, for one, you could discuss the painting by J.M.W. Turner called Rain, Steam, and Speed - The Great Western Railway and how it depicts the beginning of a new era. You see a train running at great speed in the center, blurring the rest of the painting for a show of motion. There's a farmer plowing the field on the right hand side of the train, as well as a bridge and a rowboat on the left hand side, which symbolizes the past, which moved at a relatively slow pace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sijia)
    Well, for one, you could discuss the painting by J.M.W. Turner called Rain, Steam, and Speed - The Great Western Railway and how it depicts the beginning of a new era. You see a train running at great speed in the center, blurring the rest of the painting for a show of motion. There's a farmer plowing the field on the right hand side of the train, as well as a bridge and a rowboat on the left hand side, which symbolizes the past, which moved at a relatively slow pace.
    Yeah that was one of the first pictures i thought of actually! its just does that count as 'industrial society' or is that 'industrial revolution'? If the question was just about industrialisation id be laughing but the 'society' bit really throws me... I'm screwed.

ReputationRep:
    That could count as society because it shows how new technology is affecting the people's lives. Also, there's a painting by Edouard Manet called Rue Monsier, which shows a celebration in France. It depicts a society changed positively by industrialization - cars, wealth, etc. But it's also got a negative side to it b/c on the left of the painting there's a dark area - an unfinished railway - and you have an invalid and worker walking past it. The Invalid could have been injured in a factory and lost his leg, and the worker (whose head is the only thing you see) is shown as insignificant. Then you could go on talking about social inequality.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.