98cesc
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Basically, I'm at uni in Nottingham doing economics. For our degree our first year results don't count, so provided you pass (which is pretty easy at just 40%), you pretty much get a free ride for your first year. This is espceially true since I did econ at A level and so have been able to get by with mininmal work.

Problem is, with only needing 40% I, like loads of others, have just lazed about during my first first year, enjoying student night life a bit too much, and working way too little. Just did my exams in January and averaged around the 3rd class/2:2 mark, which I knew wasn't brilliant and I would at some point have to get my act together. But cos of the 40% thing I thought I would be fine.

The kick up the backside came when I started to think about 2nd year internships and the realisation slowly dawned on me that me that the only thing I am going to be able to show any potential company would be my crappy first year marks even though in reality they are not going to affect my final degree grade, since at the time of applying I wont have done any second year exams. I'm sure I'll have few problems averaging at leas a 2:1 since I'm not finding stuff that hard and I've just been slightly lazy but the first year results could screw things up a bit.

So basically I'm wondering whether or not when applying for internships IB's and other companies ask for any additional grades past GCSE and A Level, which are both fine, and whether or not my underachieving first year grades are going to be a problem even though they will have no impact whatsoever on my final degree grade.
fatboyslim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They will be a problem generally but apply to enuf and ull still get the odd interview possibly.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They will ask for first year grades, as it's an important part of your application. Moreover, they *do* impact your final degree grade. As many people I know who coasted their first year are finding, since the 2nd and 3rd year builds on that, and takes the first year as assumed knowledge, if you haven't already learned it well, you're going to have to learn it alongside your 2nd year stuff.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
Not all application forms ask for 1st year grades. Many really don't care. They do at least ask for a predicted degree result. Some banks (or rather, their outsourced agencies) check this, some don't.

1st year stuff will fall into place very easily during your 2nd year. That or you're going to fail anyway because the 2nd year in most unis is another hefty step up from the 1st year what with internship applications, extra-curricular activity etc to handle on top of your studies (which are probably more difficult).
98cesc
(Original post by President_Ben)
Not all application forms ask for 1st year grades. Many really don't care. They do at least ask for a predicted degree result. Some banks (or rather, their outsourced agencies) check this, some don't.

1st year stuff will fall into place very easily during your 2nd year. That or you're going to fail anyway because the 2nd year in most unis is another hefty step up from the 1st year what with internship applications, extra-curricular activity etc to handle on top of your studies (which are probably more difficult).
What do you mean by predicted degree results. What your uni thinks you will get?
98cesc
(Original post by Drogue)
They will ask for first year grades, as it's an important part of your application. Moreover, they *do* impact your final degree grade. As many people I know who coasted their first year are finding, since the 2nd and 3rd year builds on that, and takes the first year as assumed knowledge, if you haven't already learned it well, you're going to have to learn it alongside your 2nd year stuff.
I can see what you mean, but our first year stuff really isn't that hard. It is more just a case of actually being bothered to spend some time on it that you could otherwise spend doing something else.
fatboyslim
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Whether or not you can do second year is irrelevant. Judging from what you say it will be fine.
But every application form I filled in at least asked for first year grades and generally wanted module breakdown.
It will matter but I know people who have had a few interviews despite getting a 2:2 first year.
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by 98cesc)
What do you mean by predicted degree results. What your uni thinks you will get?
Yes.
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fatboyslim)
Whether or not you can do second year is irrelevant. Judging from what you say it will be fine.
But every application form I filled in at least asked for first year grades and generally wanted module breakdown.
It will matter but I know people who have had a few interviews despite getting a 2:2 first year.
I know quite a few with 2.2s who have internships. It just makes life much harder when you have a 2.2 in the early stages.
jovialtom
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I know alot of people who coasted through there first year, passed easily but have found the step up in the standard and amount of work required just too much... kind of a shock to their system after a year of mucking around. Too many people have this attitude and suffer as a result... and this is talking from notts econ experience so beware!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (97)
29.31%
1 (56)
16.92%
2 (44)
13.29%
3 (51)
15.41%
4 (25)
7.55%
5 (22)
6.65%