Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not going to Uni, where can I find a decent job??!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've only got 5 more weeks left of school and then I have to take my A levels. I decided ages ago that uni just wouldn't be for me, not b'cos of the cost or anything but because I don't want to do something if my heart is not fully in it.

I live in London at the moment and really want to find a good job that I can start in Sept 2006! I've looked on numerous job websites but most of the stuff on their is for immediate start and not in Sept 2006 or around then.

I was just wondering if anybody knows any companys that employ college leavers that can start in 2006. Or knows anybody that got a job as soon as they left college and could give me some advice on what to do, because at the moment I have no idea.AT college the time is spent all with the university students and people like me get no help at all, whic kinda sux.

So plssss post bk!!
    p.s i'm not looking 4 a job in retail!!im talking bout officey kinda of work in a firm in London or something like that!!!

Well what qualifications will you have when you leave?

ReputationRep:
    well i will have 11 GCSE's and 3 A levels!!

ReputationRep:
    oh!!

ReputationRep:
    oh what??is that a bad thing??lol im so confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Join the army? Always a good job, good pay and prospects.

ReputationRep:
    The police?

ReputationRep:
    Fire Brigade?

Mark

ReputationRep:
    The Navy?

ReputationRep:
    The RAF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DPM)
    Join the army? Always a good job, good pay and prospects.
    Along with the possibility of being marooned on a base in Southern Iraq- lots of boredom, a few moments of real fear- also some humiliation. The Brits have been a token presence for some time now, the Shia militias run southern Iraq. I would think carefully about the Army if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it could be a lot worse, it could be the American Army, more boredom, more fear, more humiliation, and a decent chance of being at least wounded and/or traumatized. A friend of my brother's joined the National Guard (supposed to be part time military- 6 months active duty, then a pretty minimal commitment) a while back- promises of money for college in particular appealled to her. Her unit was activated and she's in Iraq. Supposedly a safe job where she is, but far away from college. Be careful- once you're in, they can do what they like with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by global_warning)
    Along with the possibility of being marooned on a base in Southern Iraq- lots of boredom, a few moments of real fear- also some humiliation. The Brits have been a token presence for some time now, the Shia militias run southern Iraq. I would think carefully about the Army if I were you.
    I know a couple of people who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Their description isn't like yours in the slightest. Have you been to Iraq or just believed everything the media tells you?

ReputationRep:
    Of course it could be a lot worse, it could be the American Army, more boredom, more fear, more humiliation, and a decent chance of being at least wounded and/or traumatized. A friend of my brother's joined the National Guard (supposed to be part time military- 6 months active duty, then a pretty minimal commitment) a while back- promises of money for college in particular appealled to her. Her unit was activated and she's in Iraq. Supposedly a safe job where she is, but far away from college. Be careful- once you're in, they can do what they like with you.
    Well if she doesn't like it why did she join up? Perhaps it didn't occur to her joining the military might involve fighting.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that simple. She joined up before the US invaded Iraq- everyone told her that it was very unlikely her unit would be activated, etc. The US invaded with too few troops for the military's purposes- we have an all volunteer Army, so National Guard units that had not been activated since Vietnam or Korea were activated as it became clearer that the Defense Dept had miscalculated (badly). The Guard sold itself with "serve your country, learn a trade, get benefits and money for college, after 6 months active duty, just train 1 weekend a month and two weeks in the summer'. She joined up after 9/11- Iraq wasn't on the horizon. My point is that with the Services, the unforseen can happen very fast and you are stuck. She has lots of siblings and her family couldn't help her for higher education.
    So be careful kjc

ReputationRep:
    It's not that simple. She joined up before the US invaded Iraq- everyone told her that it was very unlikely her unit would be activated, etc. The US invaded with too few troops for the military's purposes- we have an all volunteer Army, so National Guard units that had not been activated since Vietnam or Korea were activated as it became clearer that the Defense Dept had miscalculated (badly). The Guard sold itself with "serve your country, learn a trade, get benefits and money for college, after 6 months active duty, just train 1 weekend a month and two weeks in the summer'. She joined up after 9/11- Iraq wasn't on the horizon. My point is that with the Services, the unforseen can happen very fast and you are stuck. She has lots of siblings and her family couldn't help her for higher education.
    So be careful kjc
    I guess your national guard is so much bigger than our Territorial Army you may get units that have not actually been called up for active service for ages. However it sells itself, if you join the military (be it full time or reserve), you must realise that you could end up in a warzone and you will be tied to it! However aside from the fighting, there is so much you can gain from being in the armed forces (well in the UK at least!)

Mark

ReputationRep:
    OK Mark, points taken. But klc just be really careful of the glossy brochures, slick videos, and the recruiters- they have a monthly quota here and there is intense pressure on them to make their quotas, especially as numbers of volunteers decline because of Iraq and Afghanistan- our recruiters will make promises which may well be impossible to keep. If you are thinking of signing up please please talk with a couple of veterans who have been through the whole thing. The chances of Brits going to war are less, but Blair dragged the British people in to Iraq, sadly for you guys. It's a terrible mess.

ReputationRep:
    OK Mark, points taken. But klc just be really careful of the glossy brochures, slick videos, and the recruiters- they have a monthly quota here and there is intense pressure on them to make their quotas, especially as numbers of volunteers decline because of Iraq and Afghanistan- our recruiters will make promises which may well be impossible to keep. If you are thinking of signing up please please talk with a couple of veterans who have been through the whole thing. The chances of Brits going to war are less, but Blair dragged the British people in to Iraq, sadly for you guys. It's a terrible mess.
    I agree with you global. watch out for glossy brochures etc. I got quite far into selection to be an officer in the RAF and have loadsa mates who have joined up in all three services in the UK and they say its not quite as the brochure makes out! However it can offer a long term career with really good benefits. As global warning says, ask people who have been in - they can give an honest opinion. Thats if you were to consider a career in the armed forces in the first place!

Mark

ReputationRep:
    The army operate in more places than Iraq alone. If you don't like it, or don't want to be sent to combat you can always resign, they don't "have you" as soon as you sign up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne Auraque)
    The army operate in more places than Iraq alone. If you don't like it, or don't want to be sent to combat you can always resign, they don't "have you" as soon as you sign up.
    Umm yeah you can resign. Not sure how it is for all the services but my best mate who was in the Royal Marines would of had to serve a years notice to if he had got to some stage of training (might of been about 15 weeks in). Guess you could still find yourself fighting if you don't agree with the reasoning or want to fight! If not there is always prison where the RAF doctor or whatever he was ended up today!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.