Turn on thread page Beta

Toucan broadbnd is poison watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Seriously their internet service is awful. All of their technical staff are in India and are not that clear although they are generallly polite. Do not get me started on the fact that when you have to call their techical staff it is expensive and damn near impossible to be released from your contract. i am only thankfull i am not a heavy downloader. however what really pisses me off is the fact how slow their broadband is even at non peak times.. I swear its barely better than 56 K half the time. I am surprised that i can stream music on yahoo launch at 300K with minimal buffering. Toucan are poor and the only thing that i am happy about is that i am not paying for it.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend Zen - they are expensive, but they are worth it.

ReputationRep:
    BT for me

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the iceman.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    euro1net - cheap and reliable

ReputationRep:
    Tesco for me which is basically NTL i have never had a single problem at all but there is a few forum threads out there that are going nuts about them however these seem to be from when the product was being rolled out and had some teething troubles

ReputationRep:
    Telewest Blueyonder.

ReputationRep:
    im with ntl

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I am a heavy downloader, and its barely been above 40KB/s this morning at all (Saturday).

I'm gonna try and persuade my mum to change. Anyone know any half decent co.s that do 1Mb/2Mbs fo under £15? Ta

ReputationRep:
    UKonline do 2mb 'unlimited' for £14.99 but you have to check its available in your area.

ReputationRep:
    Ntl .

ReputationRep:
    Sky, and I actually do have 16meg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    UKonline do 2mb 'unlimited' for £14.99 but you have to check its available in your area.
    This toucan dealy is 'unlimited' too.but that basically means 'if you use more than we want you too, we're gonna **** your internet so its so slow, you wont be able to do anything.' p***es me right off.

ReputationRep:
    Sky, and I actually do have 16meg.
    We have Bt but I'm trying to convince my dad to change to sky cos we could have 16meg and wireless for the same price as the 8meg we're paying for now! But he sais you have to change phone number, do you?
    But anyway never had any probs with BT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marbleblue)
    Unfortunately I am a heavy downloader, and its barely been above 40KB/s this morning at all (Saturday).

I'm gonna try and persuade my mum to change. Anyone know any half decent co.s that do 1Mb/2Mbs fo under £15? Ta
    are you sure its not your router (if you have one) - you may have to enable port forwarding (google* it)

*anyone caught using google as a verb will be killed, have a nice day :mad:

btw/ i'm with toucan (at home)and i've never had any problems (2meg/unlimited download) maybe you were just unlucky?
    in my experience, almost every company you'll contact will be absolutely useless, indian or not

ReputationRep:
    I have NTL at home and Telewest at uni. They are basically the same thing. They seem to be the best choice for heavy users. You can download as much as you want and they don't complain. I think due to the nature of cable, bandwidth is cheaper since they own all the cabling rather than relying on BT (even with LLU, ADSL providers still rely on BTs network to some extent).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impossible princess)
    We have Bt but I'm trying to convince my dad to change to sky cos we could have 16meg and wireless for the same price as the 8meg we're paying for now! But he sais you have to change phone number, do you?
    But anyway never had any probs with BT.
    When ISPs offer “wireless” broadband it means no more than including a wireless router (and usually only a cheap one anyway). You certainly don’t need to sign up for a special package to have wireless internet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...&s=electronics all you need is something like this.

ReputationRep:
    Very unlikely that you'd have to change phone number...
    cool, he still prolly wont listen to me though lol

When ISPs offer “wireless” broadband it means no more than including a wireless router (and usually only a cheap one anyway). You certainly don’t need to sign up for a special package to have wireless internet!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG83...&s=electronics all you need is something like this.
    I know I could just buy one and use it with the BT connection we have now but I'm not gonna to pay for one seeing I don't live with my parents in term time anyway lol. But good point the sky wireless router thing prolly is cheap and ****ty seeing that it's free.

ReputationRep:
    NTL for me and hardly a problem in 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impossible princess)
    cool, he still prolly wont listen to me though lol

I know I could just buy one and use it with the BT connection we have now but I'm not gonna to pay for one seeing I don't live with my parents in term time anyway lol. But good point the sky wireless router thing prolly is cheap and ****ty seeing that it's free.
    I think it's a Netgear router. They are a fairly decent brand from what I hear.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 29, 2007
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.