Turn on thread page Beta

Being Irish watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    While in England recently I noticed that all the Irish people had a great sense of pride about being Irish.I asked myself the question.Why?
    I'm from dublin and began to feel this pride too.Its like some kind of superiority complex.Is it built into us in primary school or by our parents.
    Anyho,just thought id mention it!

ReputationRep:
    English people don't seem to romanticise being English like the celts do with their countries....

(Original post by naivesincerity)
    English people don't seem to romanticise being English like the celts do with their countries....
    Says you with the 'cross of st. george' on your account...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Says you with the 'cross of st. george' on your account...!
    lol, just a flag though innit?

And I feel I must apologise profusely for claiming I'd leave and then not bringing myself to....

ReputationRep:
    Because Irish people have sexy accents and awesome folk music. I am jealous of you for that. But damnit, you're likable too. *wants an Irish lover*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    But damnit, you're likable too. *wants an Irish lover*
    Bit of a generalization...?

ReputationRep:
    Well yes but a friendly one, so I didn't think it would be picked on. *tuts*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Well yes but a friendly one, so I didn't think it would be picked on. *tuts*
    I wasn't. I know what you mean, they do have a certain charm.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe.

Name:  notirishsucks.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  17.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Personally I ****ing hate the Irish, their accent really yanks my chain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Because Irish people have sexy accents and awesome folk music. I am jealous of you for that. But damnit, you're likable too. *wants an Irish lover*
    Southern Ireland prehaps, the Northern Irish accent is painful to hear (listen to Ian Paisley).

ReputationRep:
    My daddy is Irish, hail to my half-kin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Southern Ireland prehaps, the Northern Irish accent is painful to hear (listen to Ian Paisley).
    Enough to put you off your potatoes and soda bread.

ReputationRep:
    I favour Dublin accents (so yes, Southern Ireland).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jameo)
    While in England recently I noticed that all the Irish people had a great sense of pride about being Irish.I asked myself the question.Why?
    I'm from dublin and began to feel this pride too.Its like some kind of superiority complex.Is it built into us in primary school or by our parents.
    Anyho,just thought id mention it!
    It's simply because you can say you're different, you can say you're better and noone will ever tell you it's offensive.
    When you see a couple of Irish guys flying the ROI flag, people think "ah just a couple of Oirish lads avin a laff". If a group of British guys do that, people assume they're part of the BNP.

I like Irish people but to claim that they are better or nicer than the Brits is a bit of an exaggeration. There's a lot in the national character of Ireland that I don't find fantastic (just as I don't like things in the national character of every country I've ever lived in). For one, I find British mentality to be more modern, more liberal...

Other than that, I like the genuine and honest friendliness of most of them. They're also quite a sociable bunch.

What i don't understand are yanks who pretend they are Irish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    The grass is always greener syndrome

ReputationRep:
    True, no one's "American", everyone's something-American. Irish-Americans cling on to their Irishness with a passion despite the fact that in the rest of the world's eyes they're not Irish! I'm more Irish than most of them.

Haha!

I was staying at a hotel in Galway over St. Patricks weekend and on noticing a big table full of yanks at dinner, said to the waitress "You'll get a fine tip from that lot". She replied "Not at all - they consider themselves part of the Irish family and as such, to tip us would insult us!".

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people need to spend some time in the ROI. you get nice areas and bad areas, nice people and bad people. same as any other country.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.