Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive looked at this over and over and really dont no where to start, any help or hints would be appreciated.

"To determine the concentration of a saturated aqueous solution of chlorine

The conc of a saturated aqueous solution of chlorine(approx 7g dm-3) can be determined bya back titration method.

In the first stage of the procedure the solution of chlorine is added to an excess of a suitable reducing agent such as an iron(II) compound.

In the second stage the amount of reducing agent left over is determined by titration. (The conc of chloride ions formed in the first stage is too low to affect the titration)

Plan and describe a procedure that you could use safely to determine the exact concentration of a saturated aqueous solution of chlorine by back titration"

We've only ever done one back titration at school and i didnt understand it that time! lol

Hannah

ReputationRep:
    OMG I'm doing OCR A2 Chem. Is this the task I'll be doing as well?

ReputationRep:
    Looks alright to me. Better than the edexcel ones I've been getting.

ReputationRep:
    talya this is a just a practice one so no it wont be what we get for the real thing. guess im just too dumb to figure it out!

ReputationRep:
    the real ocr a2 planning exercise is on the thread called a2 ocr chemistry planning exercise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabs)
    the real ocr a2 planning exercise is on the thread called a2 ocr chemistry planning exercise!
    sorry i didnt mean to confuse anyone. but i am stil really stuck on this if anyone could just give me soem help. cheers
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    this has cropped up many times in the last couple of years - just do an advanced search for it in TSR

ReputationRep:
    ok so ive got most of wat im gonna do sorted in my head now. but theres just two things im not sure about (so far anyway lol). is there any way of working out the volume of chlorine solution you should use?
    secondly i'm using FeSO4 as the reducing agent. Is this fine to use just as it is or do i need to add anything to it?

thanks in advance!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.