Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a practice paper (June 05 - what fun) and 1 b seems to be mainly about women's writing. We haven't done much on women's writing in war literature yet except we watched some film about Vera Brittain which was a bit crap.

So far, in terms of typicality, I've got that their writing seems to be more emotional and the subject is either on their helplessness or their strength.

But what else? I've run out of things to write! Has anyone else done this paper, or knows what I could put?

Thankies.

ReputationRep:
    Argh. No thanks.

Do the mods know about this? Why is it allowed?!

ReputationRep:
    ah, women's writing from a certain age might have been more emotional. read virginia woolf's 'a room of one's own' and perhaps 'to the lighthouse' for a bit of insight into it. the latter is not only about women and their art, but is also a landmark in modernism literature. there are two main women characters; one of which is a traditional, domestic mother figure (based on woolf's own mother) who might represent these women writers from previous years. the other, lilly briscoe, is a young woman who defies these dated conventions which women comformed to; she is not so ready to get married and, as an artist, paints in a new, symbolic and impressionist way (this is an allusion to the change in women's writing). worth looking at. neither books are that long.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll definately check those out, they sound really good for synoptic.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.