The Student Room Group

How does clearing work?

Can you only apply through clearing to the unis/courses available or extra? Sorry but what is clearing and how does it work? If I wanted a place at a London uni for a popular subject that isn't available on extra do I have a chance through clearing? Thanks...bit of a stupid q.
Reply 1
Everything you wanted to know about Clearing: http://www.ucas.com/getting/clearing/index.html.

If you have any specific questions, post here.
Reply 2
Thanks this is v. useful! Are the courses that are usually available on clearing the less popular courses/courses that are still available from Extra or will you get a whole new list?
Reply 3
Clearing courses are a subset of Extra courses, i.e. the less popular ones.

For example Nottingham's L100 is available in Extra, but I'd be very surprised if it's available in Clearing too.
Reply 4
chrissy909
Thanks this is v. useful! Are the courses that are usually available on clearing the less popular courses/courses that are still available from Extra or will you get a whole new list?

It's a whole new list! Some unis, ie Oxbridge, LSE don't enter Clearing, and some courses, ie medicine, don't either. But there is usually a good range, so you should be able to find something.
Reply 5
As has already been said, the very popular courses will not be in Clearing, and nor will the popular universities (Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE etc.). But, the ultimate objective for all institutions is to fill their courses so there can still be a wide choice, although perhaps not at your first choice university. You may also find that you need to be flexible about what you want to study to get a place at a university you are keen to study at. My other advice would be don't panic and try to phone univerisities the second their Clearing lines open. Most people try to do that and you will just end up getting an engaged tone or hanging on in phone queue. Be patient and wait a couple of hours perhaps.

Latest

Trending

Trending