Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been rejected for Medicine from QMUL, but the Department of Engineering there wrote to me and think I'm 'extremely well qualified' for an alternative degree to medicine. Then they told me all about Medical Engineering and invited me to the open day.

I am going to go...it's on the 28th of April. How likely is it that they'll make me an offer? I really like the course..........but I also have an offer from Durham for Biomedical Sci's which i don't want to decline just yet.

Do you think they might interview me too?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do medicine, you're probably better off fixing any problems and reapplying for A100.

I'm not sure if the QMUL Biomedical Eng degree is accredited, i.e. it might not actually be worth anything other than applying to GEP medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering always have empty places, you are pretty much guaranteed a place. The "open day" is sometimes combined with an informal interview.
    There are loads of people in medical engineering here that didn't get their medicine place, but don't be deceived into thinking you can just switch next year. Also funding for a "second degree" would be difficult to get hold of.
    It might be better to have another look at your UCAS form and re-apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    munkie is right.

I find that from some Medical Engineering students, during or after the course, they still want to get into medicine and they end up following medicine anyway. If your heart and interests are still set on Medicine, then do whatever it takes and do it. Fill the gaps and apply next year. Otherwise, if your cut out to a real engineer with no turning back, then do Medical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a medical doctor, work hard, get great grades, gap and reapply. That show's great maturity, plus you're infinitely more likely to get an offer this way than you will be as a graduate applying...

That aside, medical engineering is one of the best degrees QM offer, and is very highly regarded.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my mates who do Medical engineering are Med Rejected. It seems like hardly any one actually applies for Medical Engineering. They are forced to do it after Med Rejection.
    If you are not interested in Engineering i.e (Maths PHysics) then its better for you to either wait a year and reapply or go to another uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahyolmu)
    Most of my mates who do Medical engineering are Med Rejected. It seems like hardly any one actually applies for Medical Engineering. They are forced to do it after Med Rejection.
    Not being funny, but they're not forced, they're just too narrow minded to consider reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice. Before Medicine I was going to apply for Physics and i was kind of 'guided' towards Medicine by teachers and friends. I totally love Maths and Physics. After being rejected I came back to Physics again....my teacher suggested Engineering and then QMUL sent the letter and I think it's a great course.....but I have to be convinced at the open day first, I am not going to just go for it because there's nothing else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.