Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I've just tried to watch Corpse Bride dvd. I say tried as I sadly fell asleep after Victor and Emily went off to see the old Skeleton to go see his parents and didn't wake up until the fight scene in the church at the end.

But what I saw I was impressed with and I plan to watch it again soon to see the rest. It was brilliant.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Also, has anyone ever played the Medieval PlayStation games? I think the film and those games have a very similar feel about them? Anyone agree?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was woeful, I was expecting something in lines with 'The Nightmare before Christmas' and I didn't get it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I ain't seen Nightmare before Christmas, so I can't compare the two.

But I found the bits of Corpse Bride I saw to be both funny and moving at times

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i was expecting something more along the lines of NBC but it didnt happen, i have to admit although i did enjoy it, it wasnt one of favourite films of Tim Burton I was expecting more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    I've just tried to watch Corpse Bride dvd. I say tried as I sadly fell asleep after Victor and Emily went off to see the old Skeleton to go see his parents and didn't wake up until the fight scene in the church at the end.

But what I saw I was impressed with and I plan to watch it again soon to see the rest. It was brilliant.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Also, has anyone ever played the Medieval PlayStation games? I think the film and those games have a very similar feel about them? Anyone agree?
    I thought the same thing when i first saw it, its a great film, funny too

Not as good as "the nightmare before christmas" by the same guy, but still very good

Some bits were very moving
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by A_ndy_)
    I thought the same thing when i first saw it, its a great film, funny too
    Not as good as "the nightmare before christmas" by the same guy, but still very good

Some bits were very moving
    Ah, so glad I'm not the only one to have thought that. Those games were great. The second one set in London, and often on the streets looked exactly like the town in Corpse Bride and the characters in both were equally as strange looking and sounding weren't they?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so glad I'm not the only one to have thought that. Those games were great. The second one set in London, and often on the streets looked exactly like the town in Corpse Bride and the characters in both were equally as strange looking and sounding weren't they?
    :rofl: yeh... they were freaky..

Quality games though
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    :rofl: yeh... they were freaky..

Quality games though
    Yep...don't think I ever finished the second one though.

Shame I don't have time at the moment to find it out and have a play....

ReputationRep:
    Yep...don't think I ever finished the second one though.

Shame I don't have time at the moment to find it out and have a play....

I don't think i completed any of them, they were so funny, i just kepy doing it all over again, never got bored of it
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

I don't think i completed any of them, they were so funny, i just kepy doing it all over again, never got bored of it
    Just found out I've been spelling the name wrong...it's MediEvil.

But anyway...

I managed to finish the first game a couple of times. Quiet a disappointing finish actually. You just fight Zarok in big Hall and he changes in to various creatures and you have to kill them all. The rest of the game i much better.

ReputationRep:
    You see, Corpse Bride was actually a good tim burton film.... only couple of things could have made it better:

Firstly, make it a musical... it worked for Nightmare Before Christmas (CLASSIC) so should have had more songs! Also the songs lacked something Nightmare had.

The way the faces moved... in Nightmare they had to change the face by making lots of different masks, which made it look disjointed and really worked with the style... but it CBride, they actually designed the puppets so that they could move the bits of the face... which i think just makes it look computerised and makes it lose the charm which Nightmare had......

... but otherwise, gd film and beautiful ending!

ReputationRep:
    Its really good but it just feels too mainstream now! I still love Burton and everything but for someone influenced by expressionist German cinema you just want it to be more out there! He has been moving towards that so all credit to the guy class film but its not the same anymore!

ReputationRep:
    It was a bit predictable but fun enough - definitely better than a lot of the awful films I've rented recently. I must say I found the songs pretty dire, thought they could have been a lot funnier, but then I'm not a musicals person. Great "cast", the ending seemed a let down though - I thought Burton might do something a bit more interesting with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judi_lover)
    You see, Corpse Bride was actually a good tim burton film.... only couple of things could have made it better:

Firstly, make it a musical... it worked for Nightmare Before Christmas (CLASSIC) so should have had more songs! Also the songs lacked something Nightmare had.

The way the faces moved... in Nightmare they had to change the face by making lots of different masks, which made it look disjointed and really worked with the style... but it CBride, they actually designed the puppets so that they could move the bits of the face... which i think just makes it look computerised and makes it lose the charm which Nightmare had......

... but otherwise, gd film and beautiful ending!
    It was a musical and did have quite a few songs, but i also think they lacked quite a bit compared to NBC.

Technology has come further so the need to do more work for a style that isnt "in with the times" has been chucked for a more computer moderised version that although the feature was a big hit for NBC, Tim must have been thinking about business, technology and originality, something similar but different to NBC. He should have known that it would be compared to NBC so i think they could have possibly changed a few things to make it more similar and perhaps a bigger hit but he was probably wanting to just expand his uniqueness or something "artists"/directors want to show :confused:

ReputationRep:
    it was hardly a musical with only 4 songs!!!! i wouldnt describe it as a musical at all.

I don't think Burton took the decision to get "in with the times" or anything if thats what you're saying... but he definately picked it because of technology. They technique they used in Corpse Bride is the technique they wanted to use on Nightmare, but couldn't because of technology etc. So when it became available, they used it on another project that Burton wanted to work on.. Corpse Bride!

and i definately dont think he took a consious decision to expand his uniqueness! he just wanted to do that story line, and Burton felt that the animation used on Nightmare would be perfect.

ReputationRep:
    part of the difference in nbc and corpse bride would be that the first was directed by henry selick and corpse was directed by burton. sometimes i think he works better when he with someone.
    but if you liked nightmare better you should rent the new dvd (or buy it) cos theres one of his first animations called vincent is really good, and its the quirky you expect from him.

ReputationRep:
    ACTUALLY....... tim burton co-directed Corpse Bride with Mike Johnson... he'd be pretty offended if he read your comment!

ReputationRep:
    LOVED this film. For some reason I was never quite into 'The Nightmare Before Christmas,' and am still not a huge fan of it, yet I loved this. Go figure...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by DarkShadows08)
    LOVED this film. For some reason I was never quite into 'The Nightmare Before Christmas,' and am still not a huge fan of it, yet I loved this. Go figure...
    Yey. Glad you like it. I never did get to watch it a second time before I've come back to uni. I know a friend who has it, so I might have to borrow it off him to watch again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judi_lover)
    ACTUALLY....... tim burton co-directed Corpse Bride with Mike Johnson... he'd be pretty offended if he read your comment!
    sorry... i feel stupid now.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.