Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    My business phone is an Orange PAYG but I am worried if I loose my phone I have lost my business mobile contact number.

    Is there aware you can register a number to a person rather than a sim card?

    Not really.

    Essentially, with an Orange PAYG, if you lose it, then you can obtain a replacement phone and SIM (on the same number) by buying a phone as an 'upgrade' from an Orange shop.

    They will not (or wouldn't used to, I imagine still the same since they are so stubborn) sell you just a replacement SIM card to put in your own phone and transfer the number to it - you have to buy a new phone and SIM to get the number restored.

    I wouldn't worry too much about it - as long as the account is registered in your name and with your address, and you know the password or security code on the account, then you will have no problems requesting an 'upgrade' from O to transfer your number. Just keep £50 or so in reserve in a bank account/under your mattress as an insurance policy in case you have to buy a new phone...

    I should also add that if you look in the network service terms and conditions, it will state that you don't own the telephone number - the network service provider does.

    It should also state that in the unlikely event that they are required to change the number, you don't have any choice in the matter. This basically provides the provision for OfCom to make changes to number allocations and dialling codes - e.g. like when the 08xx mobile numbers became 078xx and 04xx became 077xx in the mid-90s.

    It's highly unlikely to happen again within the next 5 years I would have thought, but certainly it's something to think about - I wouldn't have more than 5 year's worth of letterhead/business stationary printed at once in case of that kind of thing - once the plates are made you can always order more, but you don't want to be landed with loads of stuff with your number printed on in case the worst does happen.
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.