The Student Room Group

Self studying GCSE Maths and English, HELP!

Okay so basically I'm 22 years old, I left secondary school without any GCSE and have been working for the last 4 years.

I want to get back into Education and make something of myself, I want to do Radiography or Paramedic Science.

As I have no GCSEs and I want to get into College/Uni I am ready to self tutor myself and get help from my friends who teach Maths/English at schools. I was late on enrolling at my local college and have seen reviews on ICS Learning etc and have heard quite a few negative stuff about them this is the reason I'm self tutoring myself.

So here where I need your help!

I have very vague idea on what I need to do,

1. I need to choose which examining I want to go with, But I dont know the difference between them.

2. I need to find my local examining centre where they would accept private candidate.

3. Start tutoring myself and do loads of past papers.

4 Do the test and obtain GCSE hopefully.

Now if theres any part I've missed out or anybody in the same situation as myself please please get in contact, If anybody has recent past experience also get in contact.

thank you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Exam Boards:
If you don't already know. There are:

- Edexcel
- OCR (Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations)
- AQA (Assessment and Qualifications Alliance)
-WJEC (Welsh)

I recommend you go onto their websites:

- Edexcel (http://www.edexcel.com/Pages/Home.aspx)
- OCR (http://www.ocr.org.uk/)
- AQA (http://www.aqa.org.uk)
- WJEC (http://www.wjec.co.uk/)

And look at their Maths and English Specifications, Past Papers AND Schemes of Work. As these will tell you the course content, structure and when you can actually take the exam.

On top of doing past papers, purchase textbooks, revision guides (CGP is highly recommended) and obtain extra learning materials (worksheets etc.) from your tutor.

Hopefully I helped and haven't just repeated what you already know :wink:

Good Luck in your endeavors and I wish you all the best!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me, (and i'll TRY to answer them).
Regards.

tohaaaa.
Reply 2
Sorry don't have any real help I think post above covers it all.

But thought I would say good luck cause your post was really nice to hear i know someone in similar situation to you.

Hope it all goes well :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
MORE INFO ON MATHS GCSE:

There are TWO Ways your maths course can examined:

- Modular
- Linear

A modular system is a system where you sit multiple exams (maybe 3 or more), and each of those exams covers specific areas of maths (e.g.):

You COULD have:

Unit 1 - Statistics and Number
Unit 2 - Number and Algebra
Unit 3 - Geometry and Algebra

These usually contain 2 papers where you're ALLOWED a calculator, and 1 where you're not.

The second one is LINEAR.
In this course, everything from each area of maths is taken and put into 2 papers (one calculator and one non calculator)
i.e. On BOTH papers you will get a bit of statistics, algebra and geometry

I hope this also helps you.

tohaaaa.
Reply 4
I hope it's not too late to get help on this, I was just wondering if anyone knew if when you self study your GCSEs, for the sciences more specifically, do you have to do your practicals separately and pay for those or can you do it without the practicals and just go on the merit of your papers? Thanks in advance
Yes you have to sit the practicals. I think you have to pay which can be expensive. It's also worth noting that it can be hard to find a centre that will supervise practical exams for external candidates.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Raji Paji
Okay so basically I'm 22 years old, I left secondary school without any GCSE and have been working for the last 4 years.

I want to get back into Education and make something of myself, I want to do Radiography or Paramedic Science.

As I have no GCSEs and I want to get into College/Uni I am ready to self tutor myself and get help from my friends who teach Maths/English at schools. I was late on enrolling at my local college and have seen reviews on ICS Learning etc and have heard quite a few negative stuff about them this is the reason I'm self tutoring myself.

1. I need to choose which examining I want to go with, But I dont know the difference between them.

2. I need to find my local examining centre where they would accept private candidate.

Now if theres any part I've missed out or anybody in the same situation as myself please please get in contact, If anybody has recent past experience also get in contact.

thank you.

yep its definitely possible I did this, this year and it predominantly worked throughout my mocks

I'd advise to do AQA English (both English lang. and lit.) and
Edexcel maths as they are the exam boards that are taken by many students in these subjects
in any other subjects its really up to you
Reply 7

thank you.

Hi, there. In terms of choosing an examining body to do your exams with, Maths is genuinely popular with Edexcel and English is probably split between AQA/OCR but have a look at the different specifications before making your mind up. In terms of local examining centre, I can't really do much to help so you need to sort that out yourself. In terms of being ready for the exams, there are resources all over TSR and online so hopefully you'll have what you need to be ready to sit the exams. Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by tohaaaa
MORE INFO ON MATHS GCSE:

There are TWO Ways your maths course can examined:

- Modular
- Linear

A modular system is a system where you sit multiple exams (maybe 3 or more), and each of those exams covers specific areas of maths (e.g.):

You COULD have:

Unit 1 - Statistics and Number
Unit 2 - Number and Algebra
Unit 3 - Geometry and Algebra

These usually contain 2 papers where you're ALLOWED a calculator, and 1 where you're not.

The second one is LINEAR.
In this course, everything from each area of maths is taken and put into 2 papers (one calculator and one non calculator)
i.e. On BOTH papers you will get a bit of statistics, algebra and geometry

I hope this also helps you.

tohaaaa.

but instead of 2 papers in the maths linear GCSE theres 3 papers 1 non calc. and 2 calc. papers

thank you.

Hey man, I'm in a pickle a bit similar to yours myself. I'm 19, last year I studied maths and achieved a C (or 4 in new grading), but to study Computer Science at University I need at least a 5.

I'm in limbo because I've got my maths, but need a higher grade and I refuse to pay nearly £1000 to pay for a course at college, so I'm going to self-study like you. If you send me your email address or something I'd be happy to send you over a load of past papers (from 2011 to 2016, both foundation and higher) and other revision material. Wish us both luck duderoo (Y)
Hi I would like to know is GCSE are available anywhere online for free if not where is the cheapest place to do them online I’m also wondering will you get certificates for completing them I’m just stressed as I cannot find answers can anyone here help me thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest