Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...everytime i try to install windows xp home x64 onto my new harddrive, the installation would randomly crash. This was happening before aswell, so i thought i had bad ram - i ended up buying a 512 Kingston module but this doesnt seem to make any difference. Whats going on??

ReputationRep:
    hello...anyone???:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think you can buy xp home x64. If it is professional x64, are you definitely running a 64bit processor? If all that is correct maybe try a different hard drive if you have one available as that is quite strange. Sorry i can't be of much more help.

ReputationRep:
    Disable the virus protection from the BIOS screen before installing

http://www.wimsbios.com/HTML1/biosfeat.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe8232)
    I really don't think you can buy xp home x64. If it is professional x64, are you definitely running a 64bit processor? If all that is correct maybe try a different hard drive if you have one available as that is quite strange. Sorry i can't be of much more help.

woops, i think your right.Ive got xp home edition then - but ive deff got a 64bit processor - AMD athlon 64bit 3.4 ghz processor. I've also got a Gigabyte K8NS Pro motherboard if thats any help

ReputationRep:
    I think that you can install 32bit windows on a 64bit machine but not the otherway round. That is a really odd problem; maybe try unplugging all usb devices / removing any wireless pci cards etc basically try to only leave your keyboard and mouse plugged in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe8232)
    I think that you can install 32bit windows on a 64bit machine but not the otherway round.
    i think thats what he is trying to do

could it be that the xp cd is messed up? :confused: is it scratched/dirty?

ReputationRep:
    well all ive got plugged in is the keyboard and monitor, nothing else. And as far as i know, 32bit can run on a 64bit system, as its an older version. I mean, its been working fine before. Other than a faulty installation disk i dont know what else could be wrong??

ReputationRep:
    What are you trying to do, exactly? These posts are confusing. If you're trying to install 32bit windows on a 64bit CPU, then that should work fine. If however, you want to install 64bit windows on a 64bit CPU and your having trouble, try the following.

To test if your CD is fine, download a copy of the trial version of windows xp x64. Just google it. Try installing with that.

Or with regards to RAM troubles, have you replaced the old RAM or have you just added the new module to that, so you get a bigger total RAM size? You need to remove your old RAM and try installing windows with just the new module plugged into the first slot on the MOBO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    What are you trying to do, exactly? These posts are confusing. If you're trying to install 32bit windows on a 64bit CPU, then that should work fine. If however, you want to install 64bit windows on a 64bit CPU and your having trouble, try the following.

To test if your CD is fine, download a copy of the trial version of windows xp x64. Just google it. Try installing with that.

Or with regards to RAM troubles, have you replaced the old RAM or have you just added the new module to that, so you get a bigger total RAM size? You need to remove your old RAM and try installing windows with just the new module plugged into the first slot on the MOBO.
    ok to answer your first question, this thread has got nothing to do with installing 32bit windows, thats not the problem.

I've already tested the CD by getting another copy of windows XP and trying to install that i.e. trying to install from a different CD to find out if the CD was corrupt. However, the same thing continued to happen....the installation crashes. But before doing this i replaced the RAM module with a new Kingston ValueRam module. However, this is in the second slot on my motherboard.Is it essential that the module is in the first slot?It seems to be detected fine, as it shows the RAM size in dos when the computer first boots up. But anyway, even after replacing the ram, the installation crashes.

The only other thing i can think of at this stage is the motherboard itself - maybe its that that is messed up?? (Its a Gigabyte K8NS Pro - they are 754 sockets with nvidia chipsets).

ReputationRep:
    The second RAM slot should be fine but try installing with the first slot just in case.

Does Windows XP 32 bit work fine? If so, then maybe some of your hardware isn't compatible with 64bit windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    Does Windows XP 32 bit work fine? If so, then maybe some of your hardware isn't compatible with 64bit windows.

thats the thing, im installing the same version of windows that i was previously running, Its just that for some strange reason, it wouldnt install this time. Ive reinstalled that same windows version on the same computer in the past without any problems. I'm starting to think that it could be the motherboard.

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, if you want to double check the memory to see if it is alright, download memtest86. It comes on a bootable cd/floppy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b_lineaddict)
    AMD athlon 64bit 3.4 ghz processor.
    If its running at 3.4GHz, thats why its crashing. Itats a fairly big overclock. It should be around 2.4GHz I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    If its running at 3.4GHz, thats why its crashing. Itats a fairly big overclock. It should be around 2.4GHz I believe.
    I was just thinking this too... 3.4 is massive, even for a Sandy Cored Athlon64

ReputationRep:
    He may just mean its a 3400+

ReputationRep:
    what does all that mean??? My friend who helped set this machine up said something about the processor running at 2.4GHz but when more processing power is needed, it can go up to a max of 3.4GHz. Is that what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    AMD processors arent measured by thier clockspeed (in GHz). There is no processor in any of thier ranges which runs at such a high clockspeed.

I'd get your friend to have a look in the BIOS and make sure he hasnt set your CPU too fast. I'd doubt he has, since you'd need to massivly over-volt the core and the memory to get it that high unless its a FX chip.

For reference, AMD chips use something called cool'n'quiet, which does change the speed between its fully rated speed and 800MHz

ReputationRep:
    AMD processors arent measured by thier clockspeed (in GHz). There is no processor in any of thier ranges which runs at such a high clockspeed.

I'd get your friend to have a look in the BIOS and make sure he hasnt set your CPU too fast. I'd doubt he has, since you'd need to massivly over-volt the core and the memory to get it that high unless its a FX chip.

For reference, AMD chips use something called cool'n'quiet, which does change the speed between its fully rated speed and 800MHz

i dont think the CPU is set too fast because i restored the BIOS settings to its defaults to see if it was the BIOS that was casuign the problem. But this didnt fix the problem. I really dont know what else to do now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.