Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

worried about university. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Worried about university not a great start eh?
    I am supposed to go in September and I cannot believe time has flied by sooooo damb quickly that my school life is over in just 2 months! I am having mixed emotions joy and depression. My bio teacher says " after your exams your life will begin". A few months ago I was jumping for joy and now I am totally confused. I hope all will end up great but at the same time I am worried about being home sick, not integrating into the student lifstyle to the max. I really do want to enjoy it and let go but somehow I am worried that I will be feeling out of it, stuck , like a child on their first rock dive, wanting to jump but hesitating at the top. What can I do to make myself feel better?:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Try not to think about it.

It is a big development; I'm pretty nervous about it myself, but it's a new beginning. You should grow to love it once you start.

The only thing you've got to worry about is the British weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiom)
    The only thing you've got to worry about is the British weather.
    It's always sunny here in London*

*May be lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imster)
    It's always sunny here in London*

*May be lies.
    always read the small print... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i felt just like that...but the 1st day was great, and got rid of all feelings of nervousness etc

trust me its a great releif once you start

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, the worst that can happen is that you end up like me, that is spending all your time alone and drinking. And really, I find it rather fun.

ReputationRep:
    On my first day I left my door open all day. That way you are inviting people to come in and see you. I also stuck some paper to the wall next to my door with my name on it and what I was doing and 'come in'! I had so many people poping in to say hi and that they were on the same course. Also had a few bottles of wine and some glasses. Great way to invite people in (Im not an alcoholic by the way!) It was just a great way to break the ice. Trust me. It worked well for me.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, I've been feeling occasional rising panic for months. It's getting less occasional too. The thing is, there is nothing you can do about the end of high school- it's like you are a part of a series of events you cannot stop. I will miss some things and people terribly. The worst part, after the good byes, is the waiting for the next stage- university- to begin. I think that when it actually starts we will all be too busy to worry any more and will just deal with it, then we can maybe let the worries go. Besides, you do have time to adjust- your course is 3/4 years. In the meantime, mood swings like the ones you describe are absolutely normal, part of the stress. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dismal_laundry)
    I know how you feel, I've been feeling occasional rising panic for months. It's getting less occasional too. The thing is, there is nothing you can do about the end of high school- it's like you are a part of a series of events you cannot stop. I will miss some things and people terribly. The worst part, after the good byes, is the waiting for the next stage- university- to begin. I think that when it actually starts we will all be too busy to worry any more and will just deal with it, then we can maybe let the worries go. Besides, you do have time to adjust- your course is 3/4 years. In the meantime, mood swings like the ones you describe are absolutely normal, part of the stress. Best of luck.
    to be honest the spell between end of school and starting uni went really quick for me...i just worked and worked to earn lots of cash to go out with in at uni.

and kept in touch with the freinds i really did care for...youl find youll miss school a lot less than you imagine IMO...as lots of people change or go seperate ways..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clemy)
    Worried about university not a great start eh?
    I am supposed to go in September and I cannot believe time has flied by sooooo damb quickly that my school life is over in just 2 months! I am having mixed emotions joy and depression. My bio teacher says " after your exams your life will begin". A few months ago I was jumping for joy and now I am totally confused. I hope all will end up great but at the same time I am worried about being home sick, not integrating into the student lifstyle to the max. I really do want to enjoy it and let go but somehow I am worried that I will be feeling out of it, stuck , like a child on their first rock dive, wanting to jump but hesitating at the top. What can I do to make myself feel better?:tsr2:
    I'd say u just look like a bride waiting for getting married

no worries, everything will be alright :tsr2:

as u said u r standing on a rock and going to jump, go ahead

ReputationRep:
    Everyone feels this way in the beginning. It helped me to call my future roommates or email them just to get to know them. They were really cool and helped me feel comfortable about living with them. Maybe you should find out more about where you're staying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Oh come on, the worst that can happen is that you end up like me, that is spending all your time alone and drinking. And really, I find it rather fun.
    heheheh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Fun? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified but I'm sure it'll be fine and I'll get used to it and all of that stuff. It can't be that bad; everyone's nervous before they go, right? Or most people at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)
    I'm terrified but I'm sure it'll be fine and I'll get used to it and all of that stuff. It can't be that bad; everyone's nervous before they go, right? Or most people at least.
    ditto on that

ReputationRep:
    I was worried as well. I knew I'd be fine making mates and stuff but my life was pretty much perfect and I didn't want to change. I'm glad it did, though.

ReputationRep:
    am little bit worried too... my worry is actually that i won't have enough time for friends etc OR that i will be spending too much time going out and that i will lose my self control and i wont study enough!

ReputationRep:
    I'm more nervous about results...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.