Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok -

A virus appeared on my cousins computer to which it was untreatable. I had to re-format the whole computer and install XP sp1 (I think) on to the computer. A few problems persisted with the setup due to the virus, but I managed to get it all back and running remarkably.

Problems: Resolution remained stupidly low. Icons were large etc and changing the resolution couldn't be changed. Any way around it?

Also: Sound - There is none. The guy at Dell suggested that I haven't installed the driver for the sound card. (He told my cousin this). But this is not an after market sound card and I also thought that the sound files came within the operating system?? How the hell do I go about this one?
    I'm sure there isn't a driver for the sound card.

+ Someone also stated the virus could of hurt the Sound card to which I should uninstall and restall it. Would this make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    Both problems sound like the proper drivers for the hardware aren't installed.

Unfortunately, Microsoft installation media for Windows XP will not have drivers for every single piece of hardware in existance in it. So you will need to look up the make/model of the video card/sound card in the PC and then google for the driver download - burn them to CD, then do 'Update Driver' in Control Panel | System | Device Manager.

ReputationRep:
    That much? Are you kidding!

So for every time I format a computer, I potentially have to download a driver! That is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Yup... Usually the manufacturer's restore disks will have the drivers for the hardware already in there, but using those usually puts loads of other crap onto the system as well...

Solution: Buy an Apple Mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Yup... Usually the manufacturer's restore disks will have the drivers for the hardware already in there, but using those usually puts loads of other crap onto the system as well...

Solution: Buy an Apple Mac.
    Which I have got - and shortly upgrading my Powerbook (6 months old) for the Mac Book Pro

PC = Pointless Crap

ReputationRep:
    Video / Sound card is where? Where are the details?

Is it:

Start/Programs/Accessories/SysTools/Sys Info then

Components/Sound Device?

On my PC (not that I use it) - is ESS Maestro PCI Audio (WDM)

WDM - Wave division multiplexing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Look for device manager somewhere in the control panel (sry, I use SP2 and can't remember SP1 too well).

(Original post by walshie)
    PC = Pointless Crap
    No, but DELL = Defective, Extortionate and Lowly Lump.

ReputationRep:
    SOLVED

It was missing the stupid driver which Dell didn't provide :rolleyes:
    So had to download it etc and get it on. Miraculously it worked first time.

Resolution sorted also by adjustment on the monitor itself. (One of the cables).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.