Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd like comments on whether it is better to live on campus or at home.

ReputationRep:
    I live at home, I love it. I would hate to be away from my family and friends. Also its really cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalipat81)
    definitely not at home for me, been there for too long! I think it is important for the future to have some independence

ReputationRep:
    I live at home too, I couldn't see the point on moving out when two universities within 4 miles away froim me do the course I wanted to do.

Its not too bad at all, you miss out on some of the social stuff but if you get involved with societies and stuff its not a problem. I don't go out that much mainly because I find it gets boring going clubbing every other night so I just tend to restrict it to twice a month now.

I think I am glad I choose to stay at home. I will probably be moving out soon due to family circumstances though.

ReputationRep:
    Home's easier.. you don't have to have trouble moving stuff :/.

ReputationRep:

live on campus.

love katy

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to live at home mainly because I'm in a long term relationship but also because I don't want to live in student accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you like. If you really wanna get involved in all the typical studenty stuff then live on campus. Its fun and its easier to make friends, especially on your course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toyosi)
    Depends what you like. If you really wanna get involved in all the typical studenty stuff then live on campus. Its fun and its easier to make friends, especially on your course.
    Well I don't know anyone who lives at home, so maybe that is evidence for the harder to meet people point! I can't imagine studying while still living at home, but then Barnstaple in North Devon where i'm from isn't that close to many unis!

ReputationRep:
    The ironic thing is at least in Manchester the students that live at home probably have a better social life as we can afford to go out etc unless the people living on campus have rich parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The ironic thing is at least in Manchester the students that live at home probably have a better social life as we can afford to go out etc unless the people living on campus have rich parents.
    Well in Cambridge nobody lives at home, so we're all in the same boat. The few that don't live in college accommodation are renting within Cambridge, so nobody has much money. And we all have our social lives.

ReputationRep:
    does any1 know wot the student accomadation is like at salford uni. i mean do u get ure own flat or just ure own room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    does any1 know wot the student accomadation is like at salford uni. i mean do u get ure own flat or just ure own room
    It depends on what you want. Castle Irwell is mainly for 1st years, its one big party and even has a night club on site (the pav).

If you want to the quiter life they have tower blocks you can live in which are much quieter.

Castle Irwell is a good 15 minutes walk from University though. Although if I remember rightly you wanted to sports science which I assume is based in the Allerton building, thats not too far from Castle Irwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It depends on what you want. Castle Irwell is mainly for 1st years, its one big party and even has a night club on site (the pav).

If you want to the quiter life they have tower blocks you can live in which are much quieter.

Castle Irwell is a good 15 minutes walk from University though. Although if I remember rightly you wanted to sports science which I assume is based in the Allerton building, thats not too far from Castle Irwell.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    All my friends that lived at home feel that they've missed out socially. By my third year my friends at uni felt like my second family and I know that they are going to be my friends for life. You dont need to go out every night because you have friends your own age to muck about with in the house. No arguing with my mum about watching sex and the city cos my housemates love it too yay!
    Yes its more costly but I think its worth it for the independent experience, noone moaning at you for coming in late, you can eat what you want when you want, you can do what you want when you want. I wouldnt have swapped my uni experience for anything. Its when I truely grew up, i was a baby at 18 really but I felt like an adult within a few months of moving out it gave me independence and confidence.
    You dont just have to go out clubbing there are plenty of societies etc that students enjoy which you wont be in sync with if you live at home unless you are really close to campus.

The living at home doesn't really appeal to me, I prefer to be out there making my own way in the world while studying higher edu. I'm quite independent and its costing me a bomb plus managing money etc.. but i relish the experience and challenge it gives me.

Of course I envy the fact people living at home can drink more and have more luxuries.

ReputationRep:
    I have to live on campus because i'm an overseas student, and I can't wait!! I already have quite a bit of freedom at home, but I'm still excited to gain complete freedom!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i can imagine living at home to be easier

ReputationRep:
    My sister lives on campus, and as much as I love her, life is so much easier...come to think about I do miss her today, but when she comes home for a weekend those feelings will fade.

I think living on campus is much better because you have the social lfe and you can roll out of bed in the morning 10mins before your lectures! Everyone's happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Custard)
    My sister lives on campus, and as much as I love her, life is so much easier...come to think about I do miss her today, but when she comes home for a weekend those feelings will fade.

I think living on campus is much better because you have the social lfe and you can roll out of bed in the morning 10mins before your lectures! Everyone's happy!
    i bet your parents wont you to go with her when she leaves

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.