Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to place emphasis on the exams that are coming up very soon (for example, your maths exam); you will have time to do intensive, in-depth revision AFTER these exams.

That said, do not neglect the other subjects. Do revise them, but there is a definite need to prioritise. A 'take each exam as it comes' approach would probably serve you quite well here.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's always best to work long term on the subjects you're least confident in. Revise these on a daily basis, but also keep revising the others, so something like this:

Day 1: a, b
    Day 2: a, c
    Day 3: a, d
    Day 4: a, b

Where a is your worst subject and b, c, d are ones coming up soon. It'll be better, since for b, c and d you only really need prompts to get your mind going, whereas the worse subjects should be revised as a staple to really get them into your head.

At least, that's how I'd do it.

And really, maths and french require minimal revision anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilute)
    I think it's always best to work long term on the subjects you're least confident in. Revise these on a daily basis, but also keep revising the others, so something like this:

Day 1: a, b
    Day 2: a, c
    Day 3: a, d
    Day 4: a, b

Where a is your worst subject and b, c, d are ones coming up soon. It'll be better, since for b, c and d you only really need prompts to get your mind going, whereas the worse subjects should be revised as a staple to really get them into your head.

At least, that's how I'd do it.

And really, maths and french require minimal revision anyway.
    :ditto: Don't neglect maths, French and Latin just because you're good at them, but revise your weaker subjects more.

ReputationRep:
    You are not alone....

An important way that i would recommend revising in these hyped up times would be to drink water as much as you can. Research has shown that water, or rather the oxygen that i present inside it substantially increases brain power; i.e. upto 10-15%.

Also, distractions....leave tasks in your every day life that are mind-saping; i.e. to say are meaningless and do not contribute to anything productive in terms of revision.

In all this mess, many forget about sleep. It may sound a bit cliched but you must have at least your 8 hours each day; this is quite possible the bare minimum that you can take when studying throughout the day. Without it, you would be in a more worse position that you would be with it.

So there you go, some tips, possible generalisations on the exam period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSomething)
    Right. I'll try and make this as brief as I can so it's not too boring:

My first exam is on May 6th. (Maths - Edexcel IGCSE)
    Latin and French shortly follow.
    My exam leave does not start until something like May 25th.

I've got a week and a bit left of Easter to revise before school starts again and I'd like a bit of your logic please?

Thing is. The exams before exam leave I'm pretty confident about. I'm relatively good at maths and french, and I don't think that revising latin will be too beneficial because you can never tell what'll come up in the exam.

BUT these exams are really really soon. My other exams I have longer to revise for BUT I'm not half as good at them.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. What do you think would be the best thing to do now? Revise for the exams that are soon, or the exams that I'm least good at?

Thank you in advance.
    Well, I personally say that study for the exams you are less sure about. I, for example, am poor at biology and pretty alright at french, so I think I will study a lot for biology and really study for french two weeks before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Revise the ones you're least good at-the worse you're at them, the more you should study it. If you're confident with the ones coming up soon, just leave them till a couple of days before.

That's what I did for my mocks anyway. And my best marks were in the subjects I revised for least-French and German. Seriously, I just learnt my orals and I got A*s.

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing 9-5 revision, taking breaks every 45 mins and having a lunch break. After 5, I do whatever I want!

I suggest you do that in study leave, and on school days try to wake up earlier (e.g 5am) and do two hours in the morning and two hours after school. It will be worth it in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marshmallow_mayhem)
    Revise the ones you're least good at-the worse you're at them, the more you should study it. If you're confident with the ones coming up soon, just leave them till a couple of days before.

That's what I did for my mocks anyway. And my best marks were in the subjects I revised for least-French and German. Seriously, I just learnt my orals and I got A*s.
    omg I hate French and German - my orals are in May and i've hardly done much. How can i improve my listening? I'm getting D's in listening but getting A's in reading and writing. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayaIllusion)
    omg I hate French and German - my orals are in May and i've hardly done much. How can i improve my listening? I'm getting D's in listening but getting A's in reading and writing. :|
    hey
    i'd listen/watch french tv or music... i know it may be corny, as it's probably not your cup of tea to watch french tv, but it will help u in the listening exam cos you'll be much more aware of the pronounciation and all that. believe me, the mistakes i get in those tests are because i don't understand the phonetics. so you gotta get used to them so you can identivy them when they come up! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frapps)
    hey
    i'd listen/watch french tv or music... i know it may be corny, as it's probably not your cup of tea to watch french tv, but it will help u in the listening exam cos you'll be much more aware of the pronounciation and all that. believe me, the mistakes i get in those tests are because i don't understand the phonetics. so you gotta get used to them so you can identivy them when they come up! good luck!
    thank you soo much!
    btw, where can i get hold of french programmes?

ReputationRep:
    thank you soo much!
    If you have Sky, the French channel is 825.

ReputationRep:
    thank you soo much!
    np! i guess kellywood has anticipated me! thank u
    i don't have sky but i guess that she is right, you should have some french channels on your tv.
    also, you could consider watching some movies, like Amélie, Une Longue Fleuve Tranquille (both are comedies) or Une Homme et Une Femme (a classic romantic movie). i think these are good because they give you insight into the actual french culture and help you in your exam, as you're more, let's say, "inspired" to face the gruelling 'compositions'. i fact they are only gruelling if you're not at ease. if you're confident, things will be much easier. and these movies will make you more confident about the language, the culture, and they will help you in your exams! surely though, you needen't go and buy these if you can't (do rent them though if you're able to), but you can always watch french tv, french news, etc!
    good luck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    np! i guess kellywood has anticipated me! thank u
    i don't have sky but i guess that she is right, you should have some french channels on your tv.
    also, you could consider watching some movies, like Amélie, Une Longue Fleuve Tranquille (both are comedies) or Une Homme et Une Femme (a classic romantic movie). i think these are good because they give you insight into the actual french culture and help you in your exam, as you're more, let's say, "inspired" to face the gruelling 'compositions'. i fact they are only gruelling if you're not at ease. if you're confident, things will be much easier. and these movies will make you more confident about the language, the culture, and they will help you in your exams! surely though, you needen't go and buy these if you can't (do rent them though if you're able to), but you can always watch french tv, french news, etc!
    good luck to everyone!
    thank you
    you helped a great deal!!!! I'm going to start learning ten words a day (and in German too!)
    good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    thank you
    you helped a great deal!!!! I'm going to start learning ten words a day (and in German too!)
    good luck to you too
    hehe no prob
    hopefully, eventually you'll find that if your in contact and in 'context' with the language you'll feel more at ease, and don't just rely on memorising words, try reading as well, even if you don't exactly understand all of it lol! it still helps to 'immerse yourelf' lol how cheesy..
    well, good luck to you for both french and german... and for the rest of your subjects... and wish me luck for all my subjects, especially english lit and lang.. and the others too in general...
    i need to confess something openly in front of everyone, officially lol: I. HATE. RE-VI-SION!!!!!!!! after 2 years of hard work and study... why???:eek: lol
    good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    hehe no prob
    hopefully, eventually you'll find that if your in contact and in 'context' with the language you'll feel more at ease, and don't just rely on memorising words, try reading as well, even if you don't exactly understand all of it lol! it still helps to 'immerse yourelf' lol how cheesy..
    well, good luck to you for both french and german... and for the rest of your subjects... and wish me luck for all my subjects, especially english lit and lang.. and the others too in general...
    i need to confess something openly in front of everyone, officially lol: I. HATE. RE-VI-SION!!!!!!!! after 2 years of hard work and study... why???:eek: lol
    good luck everyone!
    thank u
    and good luck to you - especially in english...buy york notes - they are the best
    I hate revision too - but i hate essays more..and i hate cooking and cleaning more..so its not that bad

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.