Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer last month to study chemical engineering at Imperial, and it is conditional on the basis of attaining AAA in chemistry, maths and physics.

I must confess I was elated when I got my offer. I thought it was brilliant. But now Im looking at the requirements and thinking "yeah right!"
    Is anyone else in this pressurising situation?

Also, I must ask, if I got a B in physics (which is more probable) but an A in my further maths (most likely), would they maybe still accept me?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    a friend of mine didnt exactly got the offer they stated he should get for an unconditional..

but then again he was head of student council, youth award achiever blah blah blah...

just try your best?

ReputationRep:
    If it was unconditional, it doesn't matter what he got...

ReputationRep:
    i kno the feeling, i'm cramming an AS level bio in 4 months as a private candidate to meet my medicine offer, n i'm terrified i'll miss the grade, i take private classes once a week n work by myself at home as well as holding a part time job. hpe it just works out

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am kinda in the same situation, I got an offer for mech eng of AA in Physics and Maths and a B in Computing which is my highest mark really, so practically asking for AAA and I am feeling the pressure...so much work 2 do so little time...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    am in the same situation as well i have to get 3A's (maths, business, physics) to get into comptuing, but i am working my ass off, cos am not gonna let this opportunity walk by me - everybody just try your best, if they gave u an offer then your capable of meeting it! its all about working 24/7!

ReputationRep:
    Finding it hard to work this Easter actually, but I really should start cracking since I'm doing 4 A levels, and they gave me a low offer - might as well phone them up and tell them to change the grades, just to get me to work. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SithMaster)
    I got my offer last month to study chemical engineering at Imperial, and it is conditional on the basis of attaining AAA in chemistry, maths and physics.

I must confess I was elated when I got my offer. I thought it was brilliant. But now Im looking at the requirements and thinking "yeah right!"
    Is anyone else in this pressurising situation?

Also, I must ask, if I got a B in physics (which is more probable) but an A in my further maths (most likely), would they maybe still accept me?

Thanks!
    How the hell can you manage an A in further maths but a B in physics, Its very hard not to do well in physics, A level is a rite laugh anyways

sid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidxms)
    How the hell can you manage an A in further maths but a B in physics, Its very hard not to do well in physics, A level is a rite laugh anyways

sid

Yeah I have to agree with you on that, it doesnt seem to be as 'advanced' as my other subjects. But then the teaching of physics at my school is quite pathetic :mad: I don't *need* an A in physics but I still would like one.

ReputationRep:
    well, i think each case is reevaluated by the admission panel should u miss their specific offer~~~it depends on the availability of the course(chemical engi) in your case~~if it's oversubscribed of course you'll be in a tough position~~~but dont worry too much~~focus now and get those grades they require!!!cheers:p:

ReputationRep:
    You people actually find physics easy? :eek:

I only took physics because I thought it would be interesting.

For some unexplained reason, in my college its considered "cool" if you dare embark on that road of discovery :cool: But Im actually finding it the hardest subject of all, and if chemical engineering is crammed with physics, I think I shall probably opt for a maths degree instead... because math is a breeze!

ReputationRep:
    because math is a breeze!
    whoa, a maths degree is totally different to what a-level maths is, it becomes much more abstract and the emphasis shifts towards proofs, which is largely ignored at a-level.

i'm supposedly very good at maths and the prospect of a maths degree just scares me, however, it should be very rewarding because of the sheer challenge!

anyway, back on topic, i have already met the A for maths in my offer, am just working v v v hard to ensure that i do get an A in further maths..it's just really scary that i would have no chance to retake as i'm doing all 6 further maths modules in the summer! physics is OK, unit 6 is a bit of a nightmare though. and the rest of my subjects are OK too although i don't need them for my IC offer.

ReputationRep:
    Haha good luck man...ure crazy for taking 5 subjects :P heh. Hope to see you there. I got my IB exams next tuesday heh.

ReputationRep:
    i didn't PLAN to do 5 subjects, believe me!
    i initially just wanted to do maths, further maths, physics and economics but in my school, you had to do maths a-level in that year and further maths in the next, which meant that i technically would only have sat for 3 AS's that year. so i had to choose another subject: chemistry.

lo and behold, it turned out that i was actually pretty good at chemistry and i really enjoy the subject! i got all A's for maths, physics, chem and econs, thankfully. by the end of AS i discovered that i genuinely love ALL of my subjects and decided to carry all of them to A2, with an A in maths a-level in hand.

i don't know if i explained that clearly but i hope you got it!

ReputationRep:
    Haha if u love all 5 subjects then i respect your decision to take all of them haha. Anyway pretty impressive :p: the fact that u do all that work. Anyway surprised ure taking maths with management the fact that u dont take business/econs. Why did u choose that course?

ReputationRep:
    i DO take economics at a-level, actually!
    i chose it because i find econs a very fascinating and useful subject, so the management bit will allow me to learn some economics involved. also because i can easily transfer to straight maths if i discover that i love uni maths. although i have to admit i like economics as a mathematical application rather than a social science.

i even have MORSE at warwick as my insurance.
    MORSE=Maths, Operational Research, Statistics, Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right yes, bad observation on my half sorry bout that. Can u speak cantonese by any chance cause im from hk and i know quite a lotta malaysians who can speak that language. Would be cool heh. I do economics, maths and physics in my highers. Chemistry as a standard, so yes i do see people suffer in higher chemistry at school good luck on that but im sure it wont be too necessary for your maths with management. I did further maths for a year and i fell behind just wasnt up to standard. Very tough subject indeed...discrete maths killed me.

ReputationRep:
    nope i can't speak any chinese at all apart from a few rude phrases my HK friends here have taught me :laugh:
    this is because i'm malay - i can only speak english and malay, i'm afraid.
    good luck with your exams, hopefully you'll do even better than your IC offer!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, ditto to you...heh can't get much higher than an A though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shickles)
    i by the end of AS i discovered that i genuinely love ALL of my subjects
    i thought this was something you only said to impress on interview day! and please don't tell me you LIKE remembering all the organic and transition metal chemistry?! :eek:

oh and rwmu are you gonna have to pay overseas fees? ouch! well, wishing you gong xi fa chai might be appropriate now! (er... don't know how to say that in cantonese, can only speak mandarin)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.