Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey. On the open day I was shown around Earnshaw (I think that's what it was called), but wasn't too impressed. The security guard there told us not to go to Sheffield because 'it's a s**t hole' and someone shouted out of the window 'don't come here it's s**t it's s**t...!' Apparently they're knocking it down before next academic year, is this true? And is it representative of all the other halls at Sheffield? (I would actually have prefferred self catering but never mind)

ReputationRep:
    Haha bloody hell! Im interested to see a sheffield students reply to this

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Yes it is correct that that hall is being knocked down at the end of this year. They are getting rid of several of the catered halls to replace them with new self catered accomodation which is being a higher demand.

Anyway, why would you make your university decision based on the comments of a secuirty guard?

ReputationRep:
    Sorby is the worst hall that I've seen, and that's being knocked down too.

I wouldn't listen to anyone dismissing Sheffield's accommodation as "sh*t". It's certainly no worse than any other student accommodation that I've seen, and at least they're embarking on a project to improve.

ReputationRep:
    granted, sorby is such a dump its ridiculous. as for earnshaw, i havent actually been in, but i have a few friends who love it there and the bar is supposed to be really good. as for other halls, i dont know much, but im in ranmoor - not exactly a 5 star hotel, but what do u expect?! it's student accomodation, living on basics is all part of the experience. i won't lie to you, ranmoor has its rough patches, but you can always make your room look nice, and to tell you the truth i miss it when i'm not there. at the end of the day, it doesn't matter where you live because it's the people you live with who'll make it worthwhile. don't listen to whoever says it's sh*t because they're just being d*icks trying to put you off.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by LucyMP
    It's certainly no worse than any other student accommodation that I've seen, and at least they're embarking on a project to improve.
    :ditto: From what I've heard Sheffield's accommodation sounds relatively good compared to accommodation at places like Birmingham and Nottingham; Birmingham's said to have only one good hall (Shackleton). Also, speaking generally the better your accommodation is i.e. ensuite, new, posh, the less social it tends to be. So although you're living in a really nice place you have to go out of your way to make sure you're social life is good.

ReputationRep:
    yeh sorby's pretty rubbish materially (eyesore, etc.) but i lived in it last year and it was one of the best years of my life! the atmosphere was fantastic and i'm sorry to see it go but the new stuff is going to look great!! sheffield's a wicked uni, brilliant student city and has an awesome nightlife..the security guard's only jealous!! haha. x

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.