Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Someone keeps sending me virus's from email addresses such as [email protected]. Is there anyway which I could ban this person via IP address? I cannot do it via email, as it is from different email addresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    Someone keeps sending me virus's from email addresses such as [email protected]. Is there anyway which I could ban this person via IP address? I cannot do it via email, as it is from different email addresses.
    Can't you place that address in an ignore list?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    how do you mean? you can block ips with a firewall but not email messages like that. you can block a certain address of course.

ReputationRep:
    you cant stop someone sending you emails. the best you can do is to filter them by IP (if you can)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Can't you place that address in an ignore list?
    It would be pointless as it is coming from a different email account each time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    i dont know what email account you have,, but with mine i can say i dont want to recieve any emails from adresses that have words such as '****'...etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you cant stop someone sending you emails. the best you can do is to filter them by IP (if you can)
    How? Shall I just increase the intensity of my firewall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i dont know what email account you have,, but with mine i can say i dont want to recieve any emails from adresses that have words such as '****'...etc
    It is being sent to my "yahoo" account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    you cant screen an email address for certain ips using a local firewall can you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    It is being sent to my "yahoo" account.
    i dunno about yahoo accounts soz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    you cant screen an email address for certain ips using a local firewall can you?
    Not to my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    you cant use a firewall to stop emails. people dont send you email directly to the computer. they send them to a virtual post office box. every time you check your emails, you are just popping over (no pun intended) to your PO box somewhere in hyperspace and taking out all your messages. you can have filters that would, for example, check the ip address of the originator of the message, and you wouldnt take those messages out of your box. but that wouldnt stop it:- proxies, etc.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.