Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Searched the last 5 pages, haven't found a thread dedicated to rock music so thought I'd start one.

My favourite rock band atm is Nirvana, fell in love with them first time I heard them
    Also love Coheed and Cambria, 3 Doors Down, ACDC and Guns & Roses.
    I've heard a few tracks of Scattered Ink from their MySpace, favourite track would have to be Corners Of The Room, if any hard rock fans haven't heard of them then that I would really recommend checking that song out, it is amazing

I'm sure there's been a similar thread at some point BUT you can't search for 4-letter words anymore so who cares? :p:

Hmmm, rock. Very non-specific. :p: I like Coheed And Cambria and you've mentioned them so I will too, whether they're rock or not. :p:

I just don't get Nirvana. I loved Lithium and quite liked You Know You're Right, but every other track just blurs into one big mess. I can't hear a lot of different between each song.

ReputationRep:
    Rock really is more of an umbrella-term covering a squillion billion different genres :P Nirvana is grunge, for example. I quite like them ... they did kill of Hair Metal, after all... Hooray!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's too broad to have any real meaning. Most people would say metal is a rock subgenre, but someone who likes Sepultura probably isn't going to feel he has much in common with someone who likes Belle & Sebastian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    I'm sure there's been a similar thread at some point BUT you can't search for 4-letter words anymore so who cares? :p:

Hmmm, rock. Very non-specific. :p: I like Coheed And Cambria and you've mentioned them so I will too, whether they're rock or not. :p:

I just don't get Nirvana. I loved Lithium and quite liked You Know You're Right, but every other track just blurs into one big mess. I can't hear a lot of different between each song.
    I was in a very cba mood yesterday so couldn't be asked with the search option :p:

And Nirvana doesn't sound at all 'samey' to me

ReputationRep:
    Coheed & Cambria are very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    I like Coheed And Cambria and you've mentioned them so I will too, whether they're rock or not. :p:
    They're prog rock :p:

ReputationRep:
    I dont mind coheed and cambria, theyre an ugly bunch of guys though... saw them at give it a name, the signer soudns like a woman sometimes.

Mmmm...Nirvana. Pity about Kurt Cobain though

Mmmm*2...Guns N Roses Slash rocks. The end of November Rain gets me hyper:eek:

ReputationRep:
    The entirety of November Rain makes me weep. And not because it's sad. Just because it's so bloody awful :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeaaa Coheed and Cambria. They are awesome.

Very true about the ugly guys though, although I must admit, last time I saw Mic he looked very good with his strapping new haircut. Not hot though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    I dont mind coheed and cambria, theyre an ugly bunch of guys though... saw them at give it a name, the signer soudns like a woman sometimes.
    Listen to early Rush, highest singer I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiom)
    Listen to early Rush, highest singer I've heard.
    Higher than Bellamy (sorry if spellings off i cba 2 check)

I'd say, like many others (though probably many more disagree), that Nirvana are way overrated, if Cobain hadn't shot himself they would be nothing in the wider world.

Saying that their Greatest Hits thing is good, can get samey but some good songs no doubt.

Guns n' Roses are overrated too (sorry to be a one chord banjo) because you only have to look at their greatest hits and see there are THREE covers (all of which are poor) to see that, obviously Welcome to the Jungle has one of the best intro's ever though.

I like FAAR to many bands to go on, I should post that list of all my albums that I have, anyway enough waffle,

Rock just plain...ROCKS! (duh)

(Original post by Decent_Jam)
    I'd say, like many others (though probably many more disagree), that Nirvana are way overrated, if Cobain hadn't shot himself they would be nothing in the wider world.
    I think Nirvana would be almost as huge as they are now if Kurt hadn't shot himself, but that does seem to give them some kind of special status to a lot of people... the amount of 12 year olds obsessed with the 'was he murdered?' thing is quite frightening.

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana are more grunge/punk rock. Look into Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. Foo Fighters are also great (Nirvana's last drummers band after Nirvana (Dave Ghrol)) as are Queens of The Stone Age.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Soundgarden, haven't listened to them much but they sound pretty good. I've never liked Foo Fighters much though.

(Original post by OMGWTF)
    Nirvana are more grunge/punk rock. Look into Pearl Jam or Soundgarden. Foo Fighters are also great (Nirvana's last drummers band after Nirvana (Dave Ghrol)) as are Queens of The Stone Age.
    Rock is a huge genre, though; surely grunge and the like come under it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what im saying. Nirvana are from another branch, she likes them so maybe she should look into other grunge

Ahhh, I see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    The entirety of November Rain makes me weep. And not because it's sad. Just because it's so bloody awful :P
    Couldn't agree more. They suck. So. Badly. And what gives me the authority to say that? Oh come on. They're rubbish!

I'm more into punk myself. Dare I say.. punk rock.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.