Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If the entire world... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ... lived its life according to the values we in the west do, would it be a better place?

ReputationRep:
    What do you consider western values to be? Are you just talking about liberal democracy and capitalism? The west is a big place, there are many different (conflicting) values.

ReputationRep:
    if we could duplicate all aspects of our society... good bad... indifferent

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of international conflict, though it would make the world a much more pleasant place to live in on a domestic level.

ReputationRep:
    Put a poll up in the west and most people would probably say yes.
    Put a poll up outside the west and most people would probably say no.
    Put a poll up asking "If the entire world lived its life according to the values we in the [insert region of choice] do, would it be a better place?" in the mentioned region and most people would probably say yes, put it up elsewhere and most would probably say no.
    Our values and morals have evolved from us, and suit our needs and desires.
    The same is true for other places on the planet, their morals and values have evolved from them, to suit their needs and desires.
    I would personaly hate it if we were all forced to exist under one set of values, as it would mean we had either opressed all other values, or that everyone on the planet had compromised, and none of us were living by the morals and values most suited to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    It wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of international conflict, though it would make the world a much more pleasant place to live in on a domestic level.
    Surely it'd be more stable, if all societies had similar 'western' religious and cultural make ups?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't make much of a difference in terms of international conflict,
    You dont think liberal western democracies interested in trade and with a heavy PC culture would be less likely to enter into international conflict with each otehr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Surely it'd be more stable, if all societies had similar 'western' religious and cultural make ups?
    Because clearly Western countries haven't gone to war against each other over the last millennium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    You dont think liberal western democracies interested in trade and with a heavy PC culture would be less likely to enter into international conflict with each otehr?
    They already do enter into conflict with each other; the reason it hasn't escalated into war is because most of them don't have any military capability and the interests at stake are fairly small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kapster)
    What do you consider western values to be? Are you just talking about liberal democracy and capitalism? The west is a big place, there are many different (conflicting) values.
    I would agree with the Kapster here, for example in America they have a death penalty, here we don't, and in America you have to be 18 to sleep with a girl, but in Canada I think it's only 14, so what are 'Western values'?

I think there is some common ground, between western nations, which is why we tend to bond together, but I don't think there is a universal set of values shared by the west.

I don't even think there are universal values shared within any single country in the west.

ReputationRep:
    Because clearly Western countries haven't gone to war against each other over the last millennium.
    Well in the current climate, who's more likely to want to nuke the US? An EU member or, eg, Iran?

ReputationRep:
    Well in the current climate, who's more likely to want to nuke the US? An EU member or, eg, Iran?
    What about France v's Korea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastMidlander)
    What about France v's Korea?

A fairly inconsequential stat IMO

ReputationRep:
    A fairly inconsequential stat IMO
    What, that the general attitude of Korea is more favourable to the Americans than that of France?
    I think it has some relevence.
    I don't doubt that cultural values have an impact on things, and we are less likely to go to war with people of similar values, but the point is, as demonstrated by that graph, which you so readily dismissed, without any real reason, is that there are clearly other factors at work too, and therefore even if we did all follow the same set of values there would be differences and therefore wars.
    Most wars are not over value systems, and are waged outside of said value systems.

ReputationRep:
    If you go far enough west you end up in the east

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esquire)
    If you go far enough west you end up in the east
    Only if you can swim well.
    If you can't you end up south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EastMidlander)
    What, that the general attitude of Korea is more favourable to the Americans than that of France?
    As measured by some dodgy questionnaire, where people are probably asked to rank by number 1-10, approve-dissaprove type thing. Hardly conclusive proof that France is genuinely more hostile to and more willing to go to war against the US, is it?

ReputationRep:
    As measured by some dodgy questionnaire, where people are probably asked to rank by number 1-10, approve-dissaprove type thing.
    No, as measured by the most comprehensive survey ever carried out, slight difference, which is some what more accurate than asking us which nation is more likely to nuke America, and then offering us a current enemy and a current ally, which was hardly being representive, or offering a neutral analysis of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    Is Iran a bigger threat just because it has a different culture?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't want them to be the same, mainly because I see Western values and economics as stronger, and when push comes to shove, I want to be on the stronger side.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.