global_warning
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi people, what are your opinions about languages at KCL? I'm trying to decide on Spanish and French. Thanks.
slk999
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
KCl is excellent for Spanish (3rd best in the country with St Andrews and Cambridge better). The 2 authors of the standard uni grammar book for spanish was written by spanish staff at KCL. I'm not too sure about French. I don't think KCL is as brilliant for French- though it's certainly not poor, far from it. Obviously the facilities you gain by going to London to do a language degree are considerable.
Jammertal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
KCL is only 11th for French, but on the other hand: rankings aren't everything. No linguists hanging around here?
gringalet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I do German and Modern Greek, so slightly different languages. However, I find the facilities here are excellent - the modern language centre, an open learning centre filled with newspapers, magazines, videos in your target languages, as well as computers with lots of web resources, the libraries are great (even if the Maughan can seem a little understocked at times), and, being in London, you're almost certain to find a friend who speaks the language you're studying. Both my languages are well taught, and the range of courses on offer is fantastic. I think the French dept here is particularly good on the literature side of things.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Great to hear that. What aboout the "core language courses" (in European Studies)?

Besides: is it the French or the German department which is looking a bit...well, chaotic and cramped?
global_warning
Rep:
?
French/German chaotic and cramped? I hope not...please say more, and thanks.
Sijia
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hear that you can learn a foreign language, even if you don't apply for one as your course of study, for an extra cost. Is this true?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/mlc/undergrad/index.html
stuff on fees in the course details bit, but yes you do have to pay.
global_warning
Rep:
?
French and/or German cramped and chaotic? Is this a rumor? Anyone?
Crimson Black
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by global_warning)
French and/or German cramped and chaotic? Is this a rumor? Anyone?
The German department does get cramped, yes - but it's still a top 10 institution. The only reason it's cramped is because so many people want to benefit from the top education. :p:
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dschingis)
The German department does get cramped, yes - but it's still a top 10 institution. The only reason it's cramped is because so many people want to benefit from the top education. :p:
And the French one? Can't remember where I was for the interview, if it was the French or the German one.
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think I was in the French department for interview, and I don't remember it being much bigger than the German one, and there are far more French students! But chaos is always good, and you have to get used to it in London anyway The rooms are just often a silly size and poorly laid out.

@ Sijia: Depending on what course you're studying, you can often do one as part of your degree for a total of one course unit a year.

@ Jammertal: All the European Studies students take their core language in the relevant departments, they aren't separate.
global_warning
Rep:
?
Thanks, everyone- what is the teaching like? Is anyone on here doing French and or Spanish as part of his/her degree?
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gringalet)
@ Jammertal: All the European Studies students take their core language in the relevant departments, they aren't separate.
Yes I know that. My question was more related to what you've said before: that literature based courses are very good. I wanted to know if the linguistic courses are any good. Sorry, if I hadn't made myself clear enough.
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Linguistic or core language? To be honest, I find the German dept quite excellent in all it does. Maybe in the just core language, which consists of one grammar class and one 'content' class a week, there isn't perhaps enough, but you can take other language units such as the Sprechstunde, language extension, translation...depends how much you want to spend learning the actual language. I presume it's similar in other departments.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant core language. Sounds good though.
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Danke fuers Rep, Jammertal If you want to know anything else at all, just PM me.
Jammertal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Cool. Might come back to it later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (56)
24.24%
My career doesn't need one (30)
12.99%
I'm sick of studying (46)
19.91%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.6%
I don't know enough about them (16)
6.93%