Rozaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Okay, so I was sitting at my dad's laptop, about five minutes ago trying to open the cd drawer without looking, and my hand wasn't in the right place so I accidentally pushed this little square thing that looks like a button. It turned out not to be a button, but the end of a stick, about a cm long that shot out. I can push it again to get it back in, and when you push it it will pop in/out.

What is this thing? and am I doing damage to the laptop when I fiddle with it? Slightly concerned as my dad is a total fascist when it comes to the laptop, and if I have done anything bad I am likely to be barred from the laptop til I'm 90.

I would be very grateful for any information/advice from computer minded people.
Kingspharm
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is this little stick next to a credit card sized slot? If so, then it's the ejection mechanism for the PC-Card slot (you can put modems, data cards, etc. in there).

Don't worry - unless something pops out of the slot when you push the stick back in, then it won't cause any problems.
Wee Dave
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah its just the black plate for the PC Card slot (aka PCMCIA). Not a problem though i wouldnt mention it to your dad. They have a habit of over reacting i hide and jumping to conclusions
Rozaroo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
It is next to a sort of hole so I guess everything's okay. Thanks very much for calming me down, I spent most of yesterday evening frantically trying to keep my dad away from the study, guess I shouldn't have worried.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (186)
52.54%
No (168)
47.46%

Watched Threads