rboogie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi folks,
I haven't practiced my french in ages, but when I was studying french, I was reasonably fluent - should I explain this to my interviewer in case they break out in french? I just need to interact more in french as most of my recent interactions have been in English -any help?
fonzievision
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rboogie)
Hi folks,
I haven't practiced my french in ages, but when I was studying french, I was reasonably fluent - should I explain this to my interviewer in case they break out in french? I just need to interact more in french as most of my recent interactions have been in English -any help?
You need not say you are fluent in french on your application. Say it's conversational and you'll be fine. You never know what can happen at an interview... Don't go into the interview trying to excuse yourself before it even starts...
kahler_potential
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That said, a friend of mine had done German to AS, capable of surviving in Germany, reading a newspaper, discussing the basics of the article, this kind of thing. He claimed he had conversational German on his application form and was asked at interview to discuss the trends of British interest rate policy, in German. Lacking the knowledge of the technical words he couldn't do it, he said he thought that it had counted against him and may have been contributory to not getting the offer.
Ludivine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You could always try dedicating a bit of time to brushing up on your French if you really want to include it on your application...
portugal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Friend of mine put on his application form that he spoke portuguese spanish and german fluently.. Lehman gave him a portuguese guy that spoke spanish and german fluently, and the interview was conducted in those three languages, and hardly any in english - luckily for him he can actually speak them all fluently..
Johan C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by portugal)
Friend of mine put on his application form that he spoke portuguese spanish and german fluently.. Lehman gave him a portuguese guy that spoke spanish and german fluently, and the interview was conducted in those three languages, and hardly any in english - luckily for him he can actually speak them all fluently..
Wow that's dangerous :/ Good to know though, thanks for the info.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
Fluently = technical terms too
Johan C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
Fluently = technical terms too
Generally speaking, not really. I can write about the theme of alienation in "Death of a Salesman" but don't know much English economic/financial vocabulary. I'm still fluent.
On the other hand, perhaps fluency takes on a different meaning if mentioned in an application to an IB. I guess that's what you meant...
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
Fluency is taken to mean, you could do the job in the language.

Your average 13-year old is arguably fluent in their native tongue. Reads books, could read papers, do day-to-day life with their vocab but they aren't fluent in the sense that they don't really have a grip of the language that lets them do the job.
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Fluency is taken to mean, you could do the job in the language.

Your average 13-year old is arguably fluent in their native tongue. Reads books, could read papers, do day-to-day life with their vocab but they aren't fluent in the sense that they don't really have a grip of the language that lets them do the job.
Then it's a slightly odd version of fluency. But I guess it's better to know now. And, it's not too difficult to learn the technical vocabulary once you know it's necessary, so just do that before the interview.
President_Ben
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ludivine)
Then it's a slightly odd version of fluency. But I guess it's better to know now. And, it's not too difficult to learn the technical vocabulary once you know it's necessary, so just do that before the interview.
Fluency in the context of work (ie. on your application form so that you use while working) means being able to use the 'work words', surely? :confused:

It makes a bit more sense when you start doing this with reference to say medicine or chemistry and science - where precisely using words of a more technical nature in that language is more apparently important.
Ludivine
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Fluency in the context of work (ie. on your application form so that you use while working) means being able to use the 'work words', surely? :confused:
Well if I write that I'm French fluent on an application, I wouldn't realise that it would have to mean a special type of fluency. However, of course if you were going to be directly using that language in your job, then you'd realise you need to know the relevant vocab, yes.
yawn
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
A friend who applied to PwC mentioned on their application form that they were fluent in Dutch (attending a Dutch uni during their Year Abroad)

During the partner interview, a lady came into the room, sat down and started a conversation in Dutch!

Fortunately my friend had been telling the truth and was able to respond and initiate more conversation. He was not asked any 'technical' questions - they obviously just wanted to know if he was being truthful.

He got the internship!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (97)
29.22%
1 (56)
16.87%
2 (44)
13.25%
3 (52)
15.66%
4 (25)
7.53%
5 (22)
6.63%