The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

Of the scottish people applying to Oxbridge, what were your higher results last year in terms of bands?
I got A1,A2,A2,A2,A2 which I'm a little worried about as I feel as if everyone applying is going to have all A1's or something :')

Scroll to see replies

I won't be applying until next year but I'm sure it shouldn't matter too much about the A2s. They are, after all, still As. At any rate, Oxbridge always seem to stress that, of those they consider, no one element of your application is the be-all and end-all.

What are you applying for and what were your subjects, just out of interest?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I didn't even expect to get 5 A's so to me the fact that they were A2'S didn't matter until I heard of people with 4 or 5 A1s and now I can't help but freak out over it :')
I'm applying for law and I did english, maths, chemistry, physics and information systems last year (:
I'm currently in fifth year, studying French, German, English, History, and Modern Studies and am considering perhaps applying for Cambridge if my grades are good enough. I would like to study Russian and History (and maybe German), although I really don't think I'd have the intellectual capabilty to study there.
Reply 4
Original post by ladymarshmallow
I'm currently in fifth year, studying French, German, English, History, and Modern Studies and am considering perhaps applying for Cambridge if my grades are good enough. I would like to study Russian and History (and maybe German), although I really don't think I'd have the intellectual capabilty to study there.

Have you thought about applying to the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge? (:
Original post by maxiine_x
Have you thought about applying to the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge? (:

No, I haven't actually. I've heard of it, but I don't actually know anything about it. Forgive my ignorance! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ladymarshmallow
No, I haven't actually. I've heard of it, but I don't actually know anything about it. Forgive my ignorance! :smile:

You definitely should look it up and apply if you really want to go to Cambridge! Not that I actually went to it or anything :rolleyes: I went to the Oxford summer school but yeah, I'm sure it would be a great experience for you and give you more infomation regarding your results etc (:
Reply 7
Original post by deedee123
my friend is applying to cambridge with 7 A1s!

Oh, kill me now. :eek:
Reply 8
I'm applying with A1, A1, A1, A1, A2 and B3 :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Lansaaaa
I'm applying with A1, A1, A1, A1, A2 and B3 :frown:

Wow, congrats! Do your school do 6 highers in one year? :eek: May I ask which one is it that you're applying for and what course?
Reply 10
Original post by nerd434
If he is speaking the truth - which he may be - then his friend will be one of maybe two students in the whole of Scotland who achieved those grades. At the most, around five students each year get 7 A's in their Highers; never mind 7 A1's. You've got just as good a chance as anyone else applying.

I can't even understand how someone could manage seven highers in one year, let alone getting 7 A1s :confused:
Reply 11
Wow, congrats! Do your school do 6 highers in one year? :eek: May I ask which one is it that you're applying for and what course?

Not really, I just decided to take it upon myself to study a 6th Higher given that I'd always enjoyed History (the subject in question) but wasn't able to take it at Higher due to columns etc. I've always done reasonably well at school so my teacher wasn't too hard to sway It didn't really pay off though, as I totally screwed up the timing in the exam and got a lowly B :frown:

I'm applying to Cambridge for Medicine.
Reply 12
Not really, I just decided to take it upon myself to study a 6th Higher given that I'd always enjoyed History (the subject in question) but wasn't able to take it at Higher due to columns etc. I've always done reasonably well at school so my teacher wasn't too hard to sway It didn't really pay off though, as I totally screwed up the timing in the exam and got a lowly B :frown:

I'm applying to Cambridge for Medicine.

The fact that you are applying to medicine is making me feel a little better now :tongue: I'm applying for law and it's just going to be the embarrassment of having to tell people that I was rejected that is going to kill me :rolleyes: What other unis are you applying to?
Reply 13
The fact that you are applying to medicine is making me feel a little better now :tongue: I'm applying for law and it's just going to be the embarrassment of having to tell people that I was rejected that is going to kill me :rolleyes: What other unis are you applying to?

I'm applying to (well, have applied to I suppose :tongue: ) Edinburgh, St Andrews and Dundee as well as Cambridge. I'm constantly telling everyone how I have no prospect of getting in so it won't be as much of a pain in the likelihood that I'm rejected. Where else are you applying to?
Reply 14
I'm applying to (well, have applied to I suppose :tongue: ) Edinburgh, St Andrews and Dundee as well as Cambridge. I'm constantly telling everyone how I have no prospect of getting in so it won't be as much of a pain in the likelihood that I'm rejected. Where else are you applying to?

Haha, same though people don't accept me saying that as they don't understand that, most likely, everyone applying will have 5As so I'm not in any way distinguishable because of that :rolleyes: I'm applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Oxford, LSE and Exeter. As long as I get into Edinburgh, I will be happy :biggrin:
I got A1 A1 A1 (Chemistry, Modies & English) A2 A2 (Physics & Maths). I'm doing adv. Maths, Chem and English this year.

I've applied to St John's college for Chemistry, for no reason other than they do a panto every year! At any rate even getting to the interview would be awesome!! Good luck to everyone that's applying :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by DragonWalnut157
I got A1 A1 A1 (Chemistry, Modies & English) A2 A2 (Physics & Maths). I'm doing adv. Maths, Chem and English this year.

I've applied to St John's college for Chemistry, for no reason other than they do a panto every year! At any rate even getting to the interview would be awesome!! Good luck to everyone that's applying :smile:

Congrats on your results! Oxford or Cambridge St John's? (:
I fear that I'm not "Oxbridge Material."
Congrats on your results! Oxford or Cambridge St John's? (:

And you also! Oxford St John's; their course structure looked nicer than than at Cambridge :P
Which one have you applied for?
Reply 19
Original post by DragonWalnut157
And you also! Oxford St John's; their course structure looked nicer than than at Cambridge :P
Which one have you applied for?

Thank you! Aw same, but for law. Every time I look on tsr threads about oxford applications this year my confidence just gets lower and lower, ahaha :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending