Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A few of the people who hang out in the 'postgraduate' forum have a thread going about how we're all waiting to be allocated colleges for Oxford etc. etc.

So, although no-one seems really keen on the graduate ones, I was wondering what the general Oxford student thinks of these colleges - if we happened to get allocated/pooled to one.

Mostly, I'm concerned that they're tomb-like, full of old farts, have crap sports' teams...So right or wrong?

(In case you were wondering, here are a few: St. Cross, St. Anthony's, Linacre, Wolfson (eugh)...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passthesaltplease)
    A few of the people who hang out in the 'postgraduate' forum have a thread going about how we're all waiting to be allocated colleges for Oxford etc. etc.

So, although no-one seems really keen on the graduate ones, I was wondering what the general Oxford student thinks of these colleges if we happened to get allocated/pooled to one.

Mostly, I'm concerned that they're tomb-like, full of old farts, have crap sports' teams...So right or wrong?

(In case you were wondering, here are a few: St. Cross, St. Anthony's, Linacre, Wolfson (eugh)...)
    My bf was at Linacre, apparently the food's good and there are lots of foreign students, and it's really close to the science area. It's red brick, so not too hideous in terms of appearance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passthesaltplease)

So, although no-one seems really keen on the graduate ones, I was wondering what the general Oxford student thinks of these colleges if we happened to get allocated/pooled to one.

St Cross is nice - no one looks down on any of them AFAIK!

ReputationRep:
    Nuffield is amazing.
    St Antony's is pretty cool from my (admittedly limited) experience of it.

They generally get pretty involved in sports... I wouldn't be too worried.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at Wolfson (got pooled, like most people who end up at Wolfson, lol!) and although I was a good impression of Munch's painting when I got my letter from the college last year, I have to admit it's not that bad. Mind you, it's rather ugly, but the grounds are *amazing*, we're right on the river so we've got our own harbor, the common room and some rooms in the main buildings overlook the river and the sight is gorgeous.
    As far as sports are concerned, differently from other grad colleges, Wolfson has its own rowing club and teams (except for women's football), since it's pretty large in terms of student numbers. It's got lots of accommodation for families, so you might find pretty odd to run into toddlers every once in a while, but older students and younger students (there are a lot of us, don't worry!) don't seem to mix a lot from my experience... I guess your college experience will depend very much on who you hang out with (e.g. I hang out with peers who are my same age range -early 20's- so I do young student like stuff).

I guess they might, for some things, be less lively than mixed colleges and being newer have less Oxford-like charm for some things, but they're not definitely not tomb-like. I might be switching next year for a number of reasons, but I wouldn't be upset if I had to stay at Wolfson.

ReputationRep:
    How cool would it be to be a toddler growing up in an Oxford college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Mongoose)
    Hmm, your sense of 'coolness' is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Mongoose)
    His Dark Materials?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    Hmm, your sense of 'coolness' is worrying.
    That's the first post of yours which is actually quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    Funny you said that, because that's the first post of yours that made me think you deserve that place at Wadham.

ReputationRep:
    Time tested truth...people like people who laugh at their jokes

ReputationRep:
    I hear that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platocrates)
    I hear that.
    Don't knock Wolfson - it's easy to do as it doesn't have the most picturesque of buildings. It is an excellent graduate college though. My Linacre and St Cross friends were pissed off that they chose looks over functionality.

Lets not forget that college plays less of a part in graduate education than undergraduate, so things like getting accommodation, caliber of fellows, clubs and socs etc soo become very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalen)
    As far as sports are concerned, differently from other grad colleges, Wolfson has its own rowing club and teams (except for women's football), since it's pretty large in terms of student numbers.
    Has the womens footie team folded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Has the womens footie team folded?
    Still up and running, but they're a joint team with St Antony's, I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalen)
    Still up and running, but they're a joint team with St Antony's, I think...
    Ohh! How things change! 'We' used to have a 'joint' team with Linacre and St Cross when Bec set it up. 'We' went solo after a season or two as we had more than enough wolfsonians who wanted to play to field a team.
    So long as 'we' still kick Darwin's arse...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how they did for football but we kicked Darwin's ass in baseball and croquet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    My Linacre and St Cross friends were pissed off that they chose looks over functionality.
    I was at St Cross. I was more pleased than pissed, even though it was not one of my choices

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!
    I got into Wolfson, unfortunately my funding is only tenable there (clarendon fund) so I cannot do anything about it. I also will probably live out because it is toooooo far from my office.
    So I just want to make up for the lost "Oxford feel", can anybody help, is it possible to eat in the glorious hall of other colleges, for say a higher fee? is it possible to go to the MCR room of another college or simply walk around the gardens? or do they only allow their own students in?

thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    Wolfson have a really active common room, with regular exchange dinners (I set them up when I was Social Chair!), and according to facebook, the're still going on!

Don't write Wolfie off as been 'unoxford', the egalitarianistic foundations of the college (there is only one common room, to which all members of College belong, from the President down to 1 year masters students!) give you amazing access to academics (from formal hall, to coffee, to regular lunch service), and Fellows are very active in college life...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.