Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aagh!! Still can't make my darn mind up! If there is anyone out there that does American and Canadian Studies or just goes to Nottingham at all even (Broadgate dwellers especially), can they contact me with nice info/ bad info about course, lack of sandwhiches on site, walking around in the dark, kitchen sizes, whether a four year course is far too long... etc. Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    i know that nottingham is meant to be really good for american studies, and i love the uni and city.

I know Lancaster because my brother studies there, and as a place its very different to Nottingham, alot smaller and quieter and i guess it depends what location your after!!

ReputationRep:
    My A-level physics teacher went to Lancaster and he said it rains a lot. (Not just because it's in the UK but due to the relief of the land, apparently)

ReputationRep:
    oh yes. lots of rain... and wind. and lack of boating on the lake. there is a duck pond... what's more important: course or atmosphere...? Really, all i actually want is someone else to tell me what to do. It's not that i'm indecisive... it's just i'm a perfectionist that has to do the Right Thing... and i can't make that decision because... well anything could happen. Nice muse needed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Nottingham and applied to Lancaster, everything looked great until I turned up at the open day and realised the uni was in the middle of a field and right by the motorway. There is no way I'd give up Nottingham for that, as Notts is amazing- I love the city so much. It depends what you want really, as Nottingham is a big city with loads to offer, whereas Lancaster seemed more homely. The sort of place to go if you were worried about leaving home and wanted to still be looked after! I don't know anything specific about the university of Nottingham, but as far as the citys are concerened, it totally depends on what sort of university you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    Notts american studies you get a year abroad, or everyone I know who does it does anyway, even though I know some dont. Dunno bout other, but Notts rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
    Notts american studies you get a year abroad, or everyone I know who does it does anyway, even though I know some dont. Dunno bout other, but Notts rules.
    Well you pick the three or four year course when you apply, although I think you can change when you get there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I have firmly accepted my offer to do American Studies at Nottingham. For several reason. First off, reputation is great, for the uni over all and the course especially. And second of all, I went to the open day and loved it! Everyone seemed really nice and helpful and students seemed enthusiastic about the course. Everyone I got to see off the staff was lovely and they just created an atmosphere that made me wanna stay and start right away. I'm pretty doubt-less it will be great. Go for it :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh Nooooooo! Feel like a traitor. Choose Lancaster- but hey! If i don't do as well as i hoped in my exams i'll be here anyway! At the end of the day, Lancaster just felt right and i like the fact i'll be in america in 2007. Guess it was just the gut feeling. Have a good time on all your courses and hope your exams go really well!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 24, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.