c0co
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
If I took a gap year which I'm now considering...I'd be 19-almost 20 (I know still v. young) when starting uni. Do you feel older than everyone else in your year or are there enough gap year students etc. so that it makes no difference!? I only ask cause I tend to get along better with ppl who are older rather than younger than me.
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In my group of uni mates, I'm the oldest (21). There are definitely more 18/19 year olds on the course, but still quite a few mature students as well. I sometimes feel old, like when I can't go to over 21 clubs because none of my friends can get in, but for the most part age isn't even an issue.
Breadcake
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
No i didn't feel at all old - but in my halls the majority of people had taken a gap year. Everybody in my block had so we were all the same age. I think that this is true in a lot of places - as a lot of my friend who have taken gap years at different unis have also been on a entirely 'gapper' floor in halls etc.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much!
Beelzebub
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I took a gap year, but was still 18 when I started uni so not maybe relevant but I don't think anyone I know has had a problem. If you get on with people older than yourself (I tend to as well, a result of having been in the wrong year since I was 13), there's plenty of opportunities to make friends with second and third years through extra curricular stuff, as well as all the other people who've had a gap year.
uniquelikeme
Report 13 years ago
I dont think it makes any difference - im in my first year and am 18 tho know people of all ages and have mates of all ages! So many people take years out that age doesnt really matter at all when you go to uni because all ages mix!
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd be 20 (turning 21), and I think I'll fit in just fine. I have several friends who began university at a similar age (if not older), and they're having a great time. Age doesn't seem to matter.
digitalparadox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm going to be 19 when starting and I don't think it would be much of an issue. There would be many different ages that people would just give up asking each other and just get along regardless of their age!
queenofdiamonds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm going on a gap semester, lol, next summer/fall... that would make me 20 1/2 when I transfer to my new uni... I would be only a little older than most, but then again, I am young for my grade level so it all works out.

queenofdiamonds :elefant:
Reef_girl
Report 13 years ago
Hey, i'm goin to be 21 wen i start uni next year and moving in 2 halls, can sum1 help me out with whether i shuld go in2 mature student halls or normal halls, I'm bit scared bout bein an outkast coz all the 18 year olds will think i'm 2 old, lol.
thanx
m x
zoea85
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Reef_girl)
Hey, i'm goin to be 21 wen i start uni next year and moving in 2 halls, can sum1 help me out with whether i shuld go in2 mature student halls or normal halls, I'm bit scared bout bein an outkast coz all the 18 year olds will think i'm 2 old, lol.
thanx
m x
I'm going to be 20 nearly 21 when I start and like you I've thought of asking for mature student accom but that would probably just meant I ended up with 40 yr olds and I'm sure I could relate top 18 yr olds much better! A lot of people take gap years now and so I don't think its a big deal anymore. I definitely don't think you'll be an outcast, it will probably be a lot of fun to be living with a load of young people and I'm sure you'll find you're not the only 21 yr old!
Reef_girl
Report 13 years ago
thanx 4 the reasurance hun, yea no offence 2 any 40 year olds but i think my sociale life like clubbin an that will b beta in normal halls.
m x
c0co
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Does anyone have any idea of the percentage of gap year students normally in each year at uni!?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So long as you're in your late teens/early twenties, you seriously have nothing to worry about. People come to university from all sorts of different backgrounds, and just because you're not a fresh-faced 18 year old straight out of A-levels doesn't mean people are going to think you're "too old". Age gaps are pretty meaningless, once you've left school.
Miss Tink
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah I'll be starting Uni at 19 and will be 20 whilst lots in my year are still 18...I was a bit worried about being a year older but I found quite a few gappers and stuff going to my Uni..it's not as uncommon as you'd think...lots of people work for a bit, travel or have to repeat college years so it's all gravy really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (91)
12.98%
1 (89)
12.7%
2 (89)
12.7%
19.12%
22.82%
19.69%

Watched Threads