Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was rebooting my comp and was told that I should remove the CD-Rewriter I instaled a while ago, before I reboot it. I tried removing it but then the computer wouldn't run, it said something about ATAPI not recognised.

I now don't have any idea where any of the ribbn cables are supposed to go.

I have one long ribbon cable with two ends and a bit in the middle, and one shorter one with just the two ends.

There are two slots in the motherboards into which these fit, one white & one black, and there are three drives to be connected - harddrive/DVD/CD-Rewriter.

Can anyone please tell me how these should be connected? Im totally confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Each of those connectors on your motherboard is an IDE channel. Not sure which is IDE1 and which is IDE2 given the colours, check on the motherboard itself, as they should be marked. I would suggest you put your hard drive on IDE 1 by itself and then the DVD drive and CD-RW on IDE 2. Plug one end of the cable into the back of the hard drive and the other into the IDE1 channel on the motherboard. There should be a pink strip on the side of the cable, which should be closest to pin 1 on the IDE socket (again, this should be marked on the motherboard). Do the same with your other IDE cable and drives. Probably best to put the DVD at one end of the cable and the CD-RW in the middle (DVD will be master and CD-RW will be set as slave). Check the back of your drives first though, their jumper settings will tell you what they're configured as (ie. master, slave, cable select) and adjust accordingly. HTH.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help it all seems to be working now,

just one question,

on the back of the hardrive where there is the pins similar to those on the cd-roms for selecting slave etc. Why is the plastic thing positioned between two on mine - slae and master, in a vertical position instead of horizontal. ie. one pin is for slave and 1 is for master.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    emm. when i go into MyComputer, it freezes, could this be anything to do with the wiring?

Perhaps it needs reboot now with the cabling the right way, I reboot it with the cabling the wrong way could this cause the above?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    emm. when i go into MyComputer, it freezes, could this be anything to do with the wiring?

Perhaps it needs reboot now with the cabling the right way, I reboot it with the cabling the wrong way could this cause the above?
    i really doubt that it is to do with wiring, my windows xp is being strange too when i start up, system 32 window pops up :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    Thanks for your help it all seems to be working now,

just one question,

on the back of the hardrive where there is the pins similar to those on the cd-roms for selecting slave etc. Why is the plastic thing positioned between two on mine - slae and master, in a vertical position instead of horizontal. ie. one pin is for slave and 1 is for master.

Thanks
    I'm not too sure what you mean, but it might just be made like that, though I thought the jumpers (the plastic covers for the pins) were always positioned vertically on hard drives, cd drives, etc. Could you explain a bit more clearly please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)

Might be that the cables are not pushed in all the way, check that they are. Failing that, I'm not sure tbh.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.