Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently came home from an exchange program in Slovenia and I was REALLY surprised to hear that they study ALL subject on HL the first year. I mean... why?! Do many schools do this?

ReputationRep:
    first that i have ever heard of it...
    It must be pretty effective but tiring.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the subjects...if it's like 3 lnaguages, then some environmental systems or so and something easy in humanities like world culutures then why not. The hard part would come when you add maths HL to it....

ReputationRep:
    yeah....imagine the programme

Lenguage A1 HL
    Maths HL
    Physics HL
    Chemistry HL
    Lenguage A2 HL
    Geography or History HL

ooooooooohghhhhhhhhgjwkxfbk..... my god!!!!the day should have 48 hours at least to afford this!!!

ReputationRep:
    well, i have started my first year with 5 hl subject. by then end, i dropped two. and i'm really glad that i did that because it gave me so much flexibility later. coz, there are subjects that you know you definitly want to do hl or sl, for me it was math hl and english a1 sl. but others, until you get into it, you don't really know the difference between sl and hl.

a lot of my friends did the same thing, and everyone is glad they did it. true, you get a bit overwhelmed in the beginning, but a month later you can decide already what you really want. so, the ones who start the ib, go for it. take as many subjects hl as you can. you'll benefit later

ReputationRep:
    how does this combination sound to you.

math hl
    chemistry hl
    physics hl
    english a1 sl
    french a1 sl
    german a2 sl
    history sl

???????

well, this is what a friend of mine takes. the only person in the grade with with 17 exams, 25.5 hours in total. and guess what? he is aiming to get 45 + a certificate.

great guy. but yet again, got rejected from mit, stanford, yale....? my question is, what the hell do these ******* want??? well, at least berkeley realised what a genius he is.

(sorry is misspelled the names of us unis)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aluakz)
    how does this combination sound to you.

math hl
    chemistry hl
    physics hl
    english a1 sl
    french a1 sl
    german a2 sl
    history sl

???????

well, this is what a friend of mine takes. the only person in the grade with with 17 exams, 25.5 hours in total. and guess what? he is aiming to get 45 + a certificate.

great guy. but yet again, got rejected from mit, stanford, yale....? my question is, what the hell do these ******* want??? well, at least berkeley realised what a genius he is.

(sorry is misspelled the names of us unis)
    Those are the odds.. This sounds like he's not american(I may be wrong)... two guys at my school went through the same thing.. 44 prediction... 4.5 GPA, good extra-curricular activites and good SAT scores... but MIT, Stanford, Caltech etc.... didn't think it was enough. I point out that they are not american.. the only american who applied to MIT got in(he didnt take full IB and had a lower GPA)...

ReputationRep:
    true, not american. but god damn it look at that combination of courses!!! two a1 languages! and two sciences and maths at hl! and yes, he got something like 2380 on sat

ReputationRep:
    that would be crazy.. hmm how was your exchange? i am doing ib after mine and its a lot of work after almost no studying for a year! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm from Slovenia, from the other school having IB programme.
    We don't have all subjects on HL in first year, though it's true that we all have to have Math HL in the first year and that some subjects are combined and that there is not any difference between HL and SL subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamala)
    Well, I'm from Slovenia, from the other school having IB programme.
    We don't have all subjects on HL in first year, though it's true that we all have to have Math HL in the first year and that some subjects are combined and that there is not any difference between HL and SL subjects.
    Tamala, where in Slovenia are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Ljubljana

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.